Hi Folks

Sorry if this has been done to death.

My recent purchase 1960 TR3A has 165 x 15 Michelin XZX tyres fitted.

I would appreciate any advice as to the best pressures. checked this morning and all are at 20lb ish which i guess is not right.

Been out in the car all day as the sun was in the sky, really good fun. The overdrive is still not playing ball. :(

Must get a workshop manual, i assume there is a brown bible like the one I have for the six.

As always all comments much appreciated.

Thanks.

Nick.

Nick

Yes it has, but what you need to know is probably is covered here - although the thread title doesn't suggest it: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=23071 - if not, try the search facility.

The best workshop 'bible' is ST Service Instruction Manual, they pop up from time to time on eBay, but don't be mislead into thinking they are rare and paying over the odds (some go for upwards of £50!), they are not as I have two! I also have this book which is pretty good too: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-TR2-TR3-TR4-WORKSHOP-MANUAL_W0QQitemZ220589362907QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item335c268edb

As for the overdrive, try checking the gearbox oil as the o/d the first thing to stop working or 'slur' in it's operation when the oil is too low.

Cheers

Andrew

PS, I run 24/28 on 165.86 Vredestein Sprint Classics

Edited by Andrew Smith

Nick

Yes it has, but what you need to know is probably is covered here - although the thread title doesn't suggest it: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=23071 - if not, try the search facility.

The best workshop 'bible' is ST Service Instruction Manual, they pop up from time to time on eBay, but don't be mislead into thinking they are rare and paying over the odds (some go for upwards of £50!), they are not as I have two! I also have this book which is pretty good too: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-TR2-TR3-TR4-WORKSHOP-MANUAL_W0QQitemZ220589362907QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item335c268edb

Cheers

Andrew

PS, I run 24/28 on 165.86 Vredestein Sprint Classics

Andrew

Many thanks for that I shall start the hunt and adjust my tyre pessures!! :rolleyes:

TRK is a fine looking vehicle.

Cheers.

Nick

Hey Guys. I know that this subject has probably been beaten to death, BUT I AM GLAD THAT IT CAME UP AGAIN!

My question is directed to Andrew, but all of you are welcomed to chime in. Andrew, I just got a full set of Vredestein 155s (the 165s are on a boat in the Atlantic somewhere, and I needed the tires before next week). Like you, I have wire wheels. Here is my question to you, and the others:

DO YOU USE TUBES? And, do I use a different tire pressure since I use tubes?

The reason I ask: As I use tubes, I can't get a definitive answer as to what tire pressure(s) to use. Even Vredestein doesn't want to touch it. With my tubes, I have a double thickness of PVC tape around the spokes. I will probably experiment with between 28 and 24 pounds, unless you folks have a definitive answer.

As you know, with radials, you cannot tell by the appearance when a tire needs air.

I love the tires, so far. If I live long enough to have to replace them, I will probably shoot for the 165s. We have a new dealer here in the Dallas-Forth Worth metroplex that sells only Vredestein. He discounts the 165s down to $95, and sold me these 155s for $68. (The tires were manufactured THIS YEAR.)

So, let me hear from you "tube - wire wheel" folks as to what pressures you maintain.

Thanks in advance.

I washed, waxed, and detailed her today, for our upcoming Regionals. She is too pretty to drive!

George, I've run 165x15 XZX Michelins with inner tubes/wire wheels at 26PSI front and 24PSI rear for many years, and find those pressures give neutral to slight oversteer handling. The only non original suspension change I have is gas front shockers.

Fully laden (fuel, luggage and passenger) on weekend trips away at highway speeds, I run the tyres 2PSI higher front and rear, which I find improves directional stability.

Regards,

Viv.

George,

My tyres and wheels are tubeless (and I run the same pressure as my steels) so I didn't see the point of fitting tubes and nor did MWS who fitted and balanced my tyres - although I carry spare tube just in case! I have also applied black mastic (gutter bond) to the inside of the rims to prevent oil/grease from the spines seeping out along the spokes, a tip I was given by John Soffe and Viv on my 'spacer' thread - I'm not a closet wire wheel cleaner, yet! :unsure:

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith
The best workshop 'bible' is ST Service Instruction Manual, they pop up from time to time on eBay, but don't be mislead into thinking they are rare and paying over the odds (some go for upwards of £50!), they are not as I have two!

Nick,

Here's one on EBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-TR2-TR3-ORIGINAL-SERVICE-BOOK_W0QQitemZ190389958184QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET?hash=item2c54203628 for £50 on a BIN price. You can get them cheaper though.

Cheers

Andrew

Nick,

Here's one on EBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-TR2-TR3-ORIGINAL-SERVICE-BOOK_W0QQitemZ190389958184QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET?hash=item2c54203628 for £50 on a BIN price. You can get them cheaper though.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

Thanks for pointing that out. :) I appreciate the thought.

I shall have to bite the bullet soon, my list of things I need to know is growing. I always think it is very tricky to fix anything if you do not know how it works.

On the tyre pressures front I am now 24 and 28 and things feel alot better. The car felt a little like a duck waddling along before. :huh:

Overdrive wise still no life. I am hoping it is nothing too serious there is no sign of life at the relay which I guess = electrical issue.

I am about to post another of my issues should you dare look.

Cheers.

Nick.

Edited by nickthepedal