TR3 Adjustible Steering Wheel

Hello all. Just checking, was the adjustible steering wheel used on the TR3 used on any other cars? I've seen a small pic of an Austin-Healey that looked like it had the same wheel? Just curious. I am looking for one to rebuild so i wanted to know if I could expand my search outside the TR sidescreen market.

Thanks,

Eric

Hello all. Just checking, was the adjustible steering wheel used on the TR3 used on any other cars? I've seen a small pic of an Austin-Healey that looked like it had the same wheel? Just curious. I am looking for one to rebuild so i wanted to know if I could expand my search outside the TR sidescreen market.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric: Bluemels made steering wheels for Triumph and anyone else who wanted to put one in their cars, including A-H. However, I have an A-H adjustable wheel and the hub is much smaller.

Go here for further details:

http://triumphregister.lefora.com/2010/02/14/bluemels-steering-wheel-restoration/#post0

Hello Eric,

look at ebay: item no. 120558463702

It´s a nice Steering wheel.

Greetings

can someone tell me what the seller is saying about a CNC machine. Thanks

Here you go! It's German, but that's not really a problem.

Menno

Zum Lenkrad:

About the steering wheel:

Das Lenkrad wurde in Handarbeit von der bekannten Firma Tesc*ri in der nähe Köln überholt. Bekannt aus mehreren Berichten in Oldtimer Zeitschriften.

The steering wheel is totally restored by hand, done by the well-known Tesc*ri company near Cologne. They are known from several Oldtimer magazines.

Der alte Kunststoffring wurde entfernt, ebenso der Metallring. Danach wurde mit Hilfe einer CNC Maschine ein neuer Kranz aus Metall

erstellt. Der Kranz wurde mit den Speichen verbunden.

The old plastic rim was removed, together with the metal ring. After that, using a CNC machine, a new ring was constructed and the new ring was connected with the spokes.

Auf dem Kranz wurde Holz aufgebracht und verleimt und die Fingermulden in Handarbeit herausgepfeilt. Danach mehrlagig lackiert und mit Klarlack abgeschlossen und poliert.

The metal ring was covered with wood (glued on) and the 'fingers profile' [the profile on the back - Menno] was cut out too. After that, the wood received multiple layers of paint, covered with a clear coat. On top of that, the paint was polished.

Das Lenkrad hat einen Durchmesser von ca. 39 cm.

The steering wheel has a 39cm diameter.

Das Lenkrad wurde bis jetzt noch nicht montiert.

Until now, the wheel hasn't been mounted.

Edited by Menno van Rij

Here you go! It's German, but that's not really a problem.

Menno

Zum Lenkrad:

About the steering wheel:

Das Lenkrad wurde in Handarbeit von der bekannten Firma Tesc*ri in der nähe Köln überholt. Bekannt aus mehreren Berichten in Oldtimer Zeitschriften.

The steering wheel is totally restored by hand, done by the well-known Tesc*ri company near Cologne. They are known from several Oldtimer magazines.

Der alte Kunststoffring wurde entfernt, ebenso der Metallring. Danach wurde mit Hilfe einer CNC Maschine ein neuer Kranz aus Metall

erstellt. Der Kranz wurde mit den Speichen verbunden.

The old plastic rim was removed, together with the metal ring. After that, using a CNC machine, a new ring was constructed and the new ring was connected with the spokes.

Auf dem Kranz wurde Holz aufgebracht und verleimt und die Fingermulden in Handarbeit herausgepfeilt. Danach mehrlagig lackiert und mit Klarlack abgeschlossen und poliert.

The metal ring was covered with wood (glued on) and the 'fingers profile' [the profile on the back - Menno] was cut out too. After that, the wood received multiple layers of paint, covered with a clear coat. On top of that, the paint was polished.

Das Lenkrad hat einen Durchmesser von ca. 39 cm.

The steering wheel has a 39cm diameter.

Das Lenkrad wurde bis jetzt noch nicht montiert.

Until now, the wheel hasn't been mounted.

Menno: Thank you very much for the translation. Sounds like quite a bit of work, but again the price quite high. There were decent quality reproductions of the standard and adjustable wheel at one time but it seems that they are no longer available.

Only after reading Alec's posting, I realised that the 39cm diameter isn't the original size! Must look odd when mounted. We're used to look at an aftermarket steering wheel with a completely different design and with a different diameter. But the 'original' one...

I still have a (non adjustable) steering wheel in my garage somewhere. In the back of my mind, I have still the intention to have that wheel modified like the one on the website of Macy's Garage. One of my collegues used to be a master cabinet maker and his still makes the most beautiful things, using beautiful pieces of wood!

Menno

StgWhl3.jpg

Edited by Menno van Rij