1970 TR6 Door top trim

Hello,

First post on this forum as I prepare to pick up a 1970 TR6 this Saturday and already I have a really simple question... my car, which has been 99% restored needs a few bits to finish it off and one of these is the door top cappings with the integral door pulls molded in them. Try as I might, and I've looked through the Haynes manual, and at the Moss and Rimmer parts listings, I can't work out how I attach them to the car. I know that there are three fixing points in each door top (look like self tapping screw holes to me), but is it simplay a question of three self tapping screws through the molding (which I have, but the holes don't pass all the way through them), or is it something more subtle? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry

Ah! Of course... that makes perfect sense! Thanks Jerry.

H

No screws - just contact adhesive.

Be warned - some of the door tops on sale are awful quality.

Jerry

TR Shop do the best door top rolls and the glue you want is supplied by Woolies Trim supplies. They do a very high strength, high temperature resistant one.

Stuart

Thanks to you all - have purchased some Heat Resistant Contact adhesive (S1358/AF178) from Woolies as recommended and so as to avoid the embarrassment of an impromptue game of 'swords' during one of those hot muggy days we're all looking forward to this summer. The only concern is that whilst gluing the tops I bought (from Moss) onto the car tomorrow I manage to stick it to my hand (or worse), Homer Simpson stylee... if you see anyone driving a red 6 tomorrow with a door capping stuck to his forehead, it'll be me...

Will give the original door cappings a try first, and then think about replacing them with wooden ones (which I think the car may have had at some point looking at the holes in the door) when I replace the dashboard for something walnut like.

Thanks again....

Thanks to you all - have purchased some Heat Resistant Contact adhesive (S1358/AF178) from Woolies as recommended and so as to avoid the embarrassment of an impromptue game of 'swords' during one of those hot muggy days we're all looking forward to this summer. The only concern is that whilst gluing the tops I bought (from Moss) onto the car tomorrow I manage to stick it to my hand (or worse), Homer Simpson stylee... if you see anyone driving a red 6 tomorrow with a door capping stuck to his forehead, it'll be me...

Will give the original door cappings a try first, and then think about replacing them with wooden ones (which I think the car may have had at some point looking at the holes in the door) when I replace the dashboard for something walnut like.

Thanks again....

Dont forget to scuff up the area to be glued well, that gives the glue a good key.

Stuart.

i used evo stick

they came off

They would ;) Hence my glue recommendation.

Stuart

Edited by stuart

I agree with GerryTR5 above - some of the door caps supplied by the big companies are awful quality, are rubberized and supplied 'banana shaped' so are a pain to glue on to the door. You have to use a series of caple ties to clip them to the top of the door while the glue dries. I've done it and wasn't happy with the results so ripped them off again. TRShop supply US manufactured door tops to as near as damn it OE specification and look original and fit perfectly. I repeated the job with TRShop supplied door caps and am delighted with the result.

Incidently I pulled off shiny walnut door caps to replace them with the black vynl. Just don't like the jewelry box look of walnut. ;)

not sure if it is available in the UK but over here the best adhesive, bar none, for this job is 3M weatherstrip adhesive [commonly referred to as Gorilla Snot]. it comes in a tube--you apply to each piece and allow to get tacky then apply...permanent fix. Also the roadster factory door cappings are the best i have found.

Harry, Just a minor point. When I replaced My door pulls I still wasn't confident that, even though the glue used has virtually welded the door pulls to the door, I felt they might still come adrift, so I looked behind the door card and sure enough there were 2 pre-drilled holes at the top of the door ready to accept a chrome door pull as fitted to earlier TR models. I think the TR6 door was the same one as fitted to the T5 / 4AIRS. Having fitted these on both doors I no longer need to exert pressure of the vinyl door pulls because I use the chromed ones. Its not just me, as I've seen them on loads of other TR6s'. B)

Harry, Just a minor point. When I replaced My door pulls I still wasn't confident that, even though the glue used has virtually welded the door pulls to the door, I felt they might still come adrift, so I looked behind the door card and sure enough there were 2 pre-drilled holes at the top of the door ready to accept a chrome door pull as fitted to earlier TR models. I think the TR6 door was the same one as fitted to the T5 / 4AIRS. Having fitted these on both doors I no longer need to exert pressure of the vinyl door pulls because I use the chromed ones. Its not just me, as I've seen them on loads of other TR6s'. B)

I too, have these Richard as I don't want fingernail marks (scratches), on my wood door caps.

Tony

Having removed my door top pulls and discovering my driver's door was a late model one, I managed to score a bunch of the late door pulls. This wasn't as easy as it could be as the door opening mechanism is kinked to avoid them - get a UK driver's side one is easy peasy but nowhere in the world has them for the left hand side (or at least, they didn't when I wanted them). Also had to weld in a plate to the passenger side door as that was an earlier model (I'm thinking now my 6 isn't quite factory... ;-))

A rambling way, I suppose, of saying getting rid of the door pulls on the top resulted in more shoulder room - car is much more comfortable to drive, oddly enough, as I appear t have more room to move about in. Never thought that extra, what, 1/2" would make such a difference.

As has been said before!

Don't use them to close the door with!

I was lucky to find a great pair of originals with door pull on an old s/h pair of doors I bought.

Stuck them on with a strong contact adhesive.

make sure you get the position right as its easy to forget and put them on too near the front of the door frame!

I know!!! :blink:

I did it!! :(

I almost ruined one :o

Thankfully I noticed and got it off before the glue set up fully! :rolleyes:

Almost went the route of fitting chrome door pulls,but found I can easily shut the door without.

My apologies for going on regarding this subject, but as was just stated previously, if you use the chrome metal door pulls you have no need for the moulded door cap/pulls. Just rub the metal down and spray paint it. Several in my Kent Group have done this and as our Kiwi friend Mike says, not using door caps does give you that extra bit of room especially in the shoulder area..

Good luck with whatever happens anyway, Harry S. :P

Thanks again - I've covered all my bases following everyone's advice.

Moss banana shaped Door cap's; check

Wollies high temp contact adhesive; check

Sandpaper to key surface; check

Chrome door handles; check

Screws for the above; check

A plan...err... kind of. Test for cramping of style when door caps are on, if OK glue in place. Have a look at what the door pulls will look like and in order to save looking like a pirate with sword unexpectedly probably screw door pulls on (it's had them before if the holes are anything to go by). Should be fun....

Thanks again - I've covered all my bases following everyone's advice.

Moss banana shaped Door cap's; check

Wollies high temp contact adhesive; check

Sandpaper to key surface; check

Chrome door handles; check

Screws for the above; check

A plan...err... kind of. Test for cramping of style when door caps are on, if OK glue in place. Have a look at what the door pulls will look like and in order to save looking like a pirate with sword unexpectedly probably screw door pulls on (it's had them before if the holes are anything to go by). Should be fun....

Think you may be disappointed with the Moss door tops as they arent the best in terms of looks and finish as they dont match with any of the original trim style. TR Shop ones are sooo much better. If your doors have screw holes in already then there is a strong possibility that at sometime in the past it had wood cappings fitted as they do screw on. If you are fitting the earlier type of chrome door pull handles then make sure that the captives are in the door frames.

Stuart.