Guys...

Does anyone have any experience of engine stands - Will any adjustable engine stand fit my lovely TR6 block...?

Fact is: I can give my block to TRGB and they will do an excellent job of rebuilding my engine... OR.... I can revert to my original plan and rebuild it myself and use the extra cash for a stage 2 head, slightly spicy cam....

Truth is I really fancy doing it myself now and I've accepted the fact that I won't be in this summers Parade Rally at Old Le Mans (!) so I've a few months to play with before the end of year...  engine stands, digital verniers, torque wrenches and decent engineers within 600 miles of Cardiff -  all advice very welcome as usual...

T

Taffy,

I rebuilt my engine almost two years ago, with no prior experience. I rented an engine stand from my local equipment hire place, and had no problems getting it to fit - it had a huge range of adjustment. My only problem was that I bolted it to the adapter plate (it that's the correct term - goes between block & bellhousing), before realising that the aforementioned plate needed to be removed from the block to complete the dismantling!

After I got the engine back from the machine shop, I decided I didn't need the engine stand. I covered the workshop floor with a couple of layers of cardboard and a dust sheet, and used a tyre to provide something to stand the engine on. Worked like a charm.

In case you're interested, I got loads of helpful advice from this forum. Here's one of the threads.

Have fun - it's very satisfying :)

John

Taffy,

No argument with the other John ©, but I've built engines on the floor and I've built them on a stand.   Trust me, a stand is better!

I would buy one with a C-shaped base, rather than a T-base for more stability.   Less than £50, and hire charges would be half that for a week.

Mounting on the engine back plate is easier, and possibly safer than directly to the block.   If you have/can find an old plate, enlarge the hole in the middle to access the rear crankshaft oil seal housing, to strip the block completely on the stand, and rebuild it too.

John

Taffy - I use a £50 C shaped Clarke engine stand and its great - you just need a few long and strong bolts to run through the rear of the block and you can do what you like with it.

Regards

Tony

John

Do you really!? 2 quick questions - where are you and how much do you want for it!!

If you are 'local' and interested in parting with it I may come and get it...

However, if you are a half way accross the country I will probably have to get one closer to home - i bet it's a bit heavy to put a 1st class stamp on!!

I'm in Cardiff...

T

I live in Horsham West Sussex and work in Guildford Surrey but could probably meet you a bit nearer.

The stand is a Machine Mart CES 750A the current price of which is about £50 inc delivery. I would take £30 ( it has been used once).

Regards

John