Halogen headlamps with dynamo

I have a 1962 TR4, still on its original dynamo (positive earth), and would like to keep it that way. As I am about to export the car to Germany, I will need to fit LHD headlamps. The car currently still has its original non-halogen headlamps, which give very little light (not really suitable for night-time driving in Germany). Would it be OK to fit LHD H4 units, or would some other modifications be necessary? I have already fitted a larger battery!

I have a 1962 TR4, still on its original dynamo (positive earth), and would like to keep it that way. As I am about to export the car to Germany, I will need to fit LHD headlamps. The car currently still has its original non-halogen headlamps, which give very little light (not really suitable for night-time driving in Germany). Would it be OK to fit LHD H4 units, or would some other modifications be necessary? I have already fitted a larger battery!

I have run my 4a with halogen H4s on dynamo for the last fifteen years without any problems. Wet nights with wipers and demist blower on will take a fair bit out of the battery at junctions/slow traffic but it soon recovers when the revs go up. If you intend doing a lot of night driving then you may want to fit a relay system to feed the lights to take the strain off the light switch.

Stuart

The halogen lamps should take no more current (amps) than the original so should be an easy swap as Stuart says.

The relay for the light switch should give an extra benefit.

If fitted near the headlamps and using some decent cable you will not have any volts drop to the bulbs and thus have extra power/illumination.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

I've added a relay kit on the headlamp circuits of many Triumphs I have owned. I mounted the relays next to the headlamps (Stag/Dolomite/Innsbruck) and on the bulkhead above the floor mounted dip switch on TR 2/3/4/5/6.

I used AutoSparks for the spare parts.

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/index.php?cPath=95

Peter W