If you had £1000

I've just purchased a red 73 model TR6 PI, its fantastic. I'm planning to do the Le Mans Classic with my brother in law in July and want the car to be as good / reliable as possible which begged the question of upgrades or immprovements.

My dilema is I wish to keep the car as standard as possible but have c £500 to carry out upgrades / improvements, be it engine , interior etc. The question to the forum is how should I spend the money? Look forward to your comments...

Pleased you have sorted softop and windows.

First suggestion would be to check you rotor arm, and if its not already been done

fit one of Martins Red ones

http://www.distributordoctor.com/

Cheers

Guy

Also join your local Tr Register group,they will love to look over

your motor, and better advised re upgrades as the car is infront of them.

You could easily spend money on upgrades that possibly you dont need,

ie Fuel pump, recon set injectors etc etc

Edited by Jersey Royal

Pleased you have sorted softop and windows.

First suggestion would be to check you rotor arm, and if its not already been done

fit one of Martins Red ones

http://www.distributordoctor.com/

Cheers

Guy

Also join your local Tr Register group,they will love to look over

your motor, and better advised re upgrades as the car is infront of them.

You could easily spend money on upgrades that possibly you dont need,

ie Fuel pump, recon set injectors etc etc

Thanks Guy, will check the rotor arm. How can I find details of my local TR group?

Hi, when I bought my 4A I focused first of all on the things that would make me feel safer driving at speed, rather than driving on parts of unknown condition/age:

New rear hubs from Revington, new UJs. After a while I replaced front wheel bearings and switched to alloy hubs.

Fitted new trunions and polyurethane front suspension bushes.

Obviously you aso have to satisfy yourself as to the condition of brake lines, pads, disks etc

Then I focused on the handling:

replaced the driveshafts with Teflon coated splined items to counter sticking.

CTM engineering rear telescopic damper conversion to give what I felt was a more predictable rear damping effect than the lever arms.

Adjustable front dampers.

Replaced the wire wheels with alloys.

Then I thought about reliability/reduced servicing:

Fitted a new distributor (Martin Jay, the Distributor Doctor) and replaced the points and condensor with Pertronix electronic ignition.

Also bought a couple of rotor arms from Martin.

I've had about 30 thousand problem free miles since 2006, still on a dynamo.

Andy

Edited by 67_gt6

I'd check the saftey bits, brakes , steering , bushes, ,UJ's,wheel bearings etc first(none of this lot is expensive if you stay with standard spec stuff) . If they are fine you can leave them till you want to upgrade. I'd next get the comfort working , the seats in the 6 arent especially supportive. If thats all ok then you could look at reliability but its a long list, certainly the dizzy, rotor arm, a spare injector, petrol pump, check the MU is OK and the PRV and after that its just down to choices. I assume youve been over the car anyway to check rust etc andf that the chassis is OK.

Good luck

Robin

Assuming you have fixed everything else I'd go for an uprated front Anti roll bar, fitted one last year and the difference is quite amazing. Given the money I'd then go for an extractor manifold as I'd prefer my car to burn the fuel instead of chucking it out of the exhaust.

Fibreglass wheelarch liners will protect the vulnerable underwing areas and lightpods and give peace of mind when using the car in the wet.

About £250 from TR Trader or Revington or Moss, plus some fiddly fitting.

Also, check that the back bonnet drains have been properly piped, and are not still sending water into the inner wing as original.

A Breezebreaker will greatly add to your comfort.

http://www.breezebreaker.co.uk/

Then I'd fit a 3.7 diff - assuming you have overdrive - because I think the car is overgeared with the standard 3.45.

After that, as has been said it depends what's already there. Few cars have escaped upgradeitis over the years.

Don't rush. Use it for 1,000 miles, go to some events, look at other cars, talk to the owners, but remember that because someone else has fitted something it doesn't mean you will like it or your car needs it. A TR6 can eat £1,000 for breakfast, and be no better.

Ivor

Fibreglass wheelarch liners will protect the vulnerable underwing areas and lightpods and give peace of mind when using the car in the wet.

Absolutely, I have been using the car all winter with these, they are so effective I tend to forget they are there. I would remove the baffles before you fit them and load the upper sill and inner wing with your choice of waxoyl product.

I would also take all carpets up, remove any underfelt and replace with sound deadening pads.

I would then get the car up in the air and go over it with a fine toothcomb, it is surprising what kind of bodges previous owners find acceptable.

Andy