Rocker reassembly

At the moment Moss don't have any (Mills) pins used to retain the end caps on the rocker shaft. Is it a good idea to use roll pins instead? If so what size? Second question, the pedestals are a very tight fit on the new shaft, as in tighter than a push fit. Any advice on reassembly? Would putting the pedestals in the oven work? JJC

A split pin would be a workable alternative for the mills pin. I appreciate this is not everybodies cup of tea but as I say is workable.

The rockers don't move much in any direction and the end caps are a good(ish) fit. Mine have lasted over 100,000miles so far.

The attachment holes in the pedastals could be cleaned out with emery/wet'n'dry until a nice fit is made.

Roger

Roger - thanks for your reply. Somehow, even though you can't see them, split pins just wouldn't look right! I rang Moss to check on how long it would be before the Mills pins were available. The response was very good, actually this is my normal experience when ringing the technical desk in London. They rang me back saying the back order was very old, but they now expected them in a few weeks (change of supplier I think). They also said the holes are tapered so roll pins might not be a good idea. JJC

I too am waiting for Mills pins from Moss. In the meantme I put the old ones back as they were a tight fit.

As for the problem with the pedestals, I put mine in a saucepan of boiling water (don't use the wife's best pan - not a good idea ( by experience!)) and then was able to tap them down the shaft into the right position with a hammer and a block of hardwood.

Geoff Masterman