TR4A/5 Side and Indicator Wing Lights

Hi All

Can anybody advise me, with certainty, if and how it is possible to tell the difference between original and repro' TR4A/5 front wing side/indicator light units?

I have just aquired a pair in extremely good condition, but as they have previously been fitted to a car, it made me wonder if there was a chance that they were factory.

My opinion is that they are probably too good to be originals, but thought it wise to check, as I would imagine originals in this condition would be worth far more than repro's.

Those of you who know me personally, will also know that I am far more at home with sidescreen parts!

Thanks for any help!

Simon Westlake

Hi Simon,

vague memory recall - wasn't there an issue with the fluting in the triangular infill area. The repro had less of them !!! :(

On refurbed old units the fluting is sometimes completely removed due to polishing out the corosion.

Roger

The clear side park lights that came with my car(?original?) had the chrome ring gripping (or fused to) the clear lens.

The replacements had the chrome ring loose. The replacement has a large gap from base of the ring to the light proper that the other one didn't, it was almost flush.

The Spares Development Fund purchased one of the German repros a couple of years ago - I won't repeat what Alan Graham (the man who rebuilt the prototype TR5 to such a staggeringly high standard) said about it, as I cannot spell some of his Scottish adjectives! I think he meant that he was not at all impressed, and wouldn't even fit one to his tractor's muck-spreader (he is a farmer).

If you are re-building a TR4A/5 and are in need of replacement sidelamps, please be patient a while longer.

Ian Cornish

The Spares Development Fund purchased one of the German repros a couple of years ago - I won't repeat what Alan Graham (the man who rebuilt the prototype TR5 to such a staggeringly high standard) said about it, as I cannot spell some of his Scottish adjectives! I think he meant that he was not at all impressed, and wouldn't even fit one to his tractor's muck-spreader (he is a farmer).

If you are re-building a TR4A/5 and are in need of replacement sidelamps, please be patient a while longer.

Ian Cornish

I bought a pair from Germany a few months ago and was not disappointed, they sit well and flush to the wings and follow the wing contours.I did use the original full rubber gaskets off the originals not the rubber lace supplied. I also used the original amber flasher cover from the old units.

I can only speak as I found them and the finish is much better than the original cruddy monkey metal.

Derek