Engine bay paint up...

Hi All,

I am at it again, B) spurred on by Tonys sucess, i have decided

that the bulkhead including master cylinder area and windcreen wiper areas,

are in need of attention.

So i have ordered new brake and clutch lines and a complete set of grommets.

Now, the engine was recently painted, 5 years back from the front backwards

and includes the wheel arches, so i wont be touching those. I also want to do it with engine

in place. So its going to be fiddly.

One area i am not 100% happy with is the bracket that supports the windscreen wiper, its

spot welded in place. How do you get paint under that?

I use Silicon in the pipes so am going to get hold of some Barcoat so as to avoid

adverse reaction, should i apply this to the whole area to be painted?

Any tips or tricks before i start taking it all apart.

Thanks Again

Cheers

Guy

DSC08359.jpg

Check out the Bike.

DSC08352.jpg

Nb will put up a couple of picture once downloaded to show you

why this is needed.

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi All,

I am at it again, B) spurred on by Tonys sucess, i have decided

that the bulkhead including master cylinder area and windcreen wiper areas,

are in need of attention.

So i have ordered new brake and clutch lines and a complete set of grommets.

Now, the engine was recently painted, 5 years back from the front backwards

and includes the wheel arches, so i wont be touching those. I also want to do it with engine

in place. So its going to be fiddly.

One area i am not 100% happy with is the bracket that supports the windscreen wiper, its

spot welded in place. How do you get paint under that?

I use Silicon in the pipes so am going to get hold of some Barcoat so as to avoid

adverse reaction, should i apply this to the whole area to be painted?

Any tips or tricks before i start taking it all apart.

Thanks Again

Cheers

Guy

Nb will put up a couple of picture once downloaded to show you

why this is needed.

Guy the bit under the wiper mount is always a pain to get a good finish underneath, you will need a small touch in gun Like thisto get even close. As you probably have a lot of silicons hanging around in that area you will need some silicon killer (available as wipe or aereosol rattle can)to pre clean the whole area otherwise you wont even get Barcoat to stick to it ;) and then some anti silicon additive such as Flowrite to put in the primer and the paint. Your local paint factors will know what it is.

Careful masking is obviously called for as there will still be fittings left and when you are painting keep your eyes on where the air line is as its "sods law" that it will catch on something right when you are doing the fiddly bits!

Dont forget to do up under the rear lip first as thats usually the bit that gets missed. If there is anything that you either cant or dont want to remove in the way of small bits then a layer of vaseline will protect it and not affect the paint. Dont forget to mask the little earth tag next to the right hand battery hold down bracket and tape over from the inside anything that goes into the cabin otherwise you would be suprised at how far overspray dust will go. When you rub down the bulkhead have a real good look all along the plenum seam (The one with all the half moon cut outs in it) for any weakness and seal/repair if necessary.

Best of luck mate you know you can do it now! :P

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart and Alec.

Most helpful, certainly gave me a few more things to consider. :rolleyes:

I was aware how bad silicon was, but not those products will have a chat with my paint supplier,

whos a nice helpfull bloke.

Alec idea of the airbrush is a good one, i have an airbrush compressor also, so will give that a go,

reckon to paint the fiddly ares with that first, and see how i go.

The weather looks good here thurs friday, so will not be starting the strip out till after then.

Since completing the rear i havent had the time or weather to take her out for a good blast.

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy,

The bit under the wiper motor bracket was painted with a 1/2 brush. I put the paint on fairly wet immediately prior to spraying that area. It 'magically ' leveled itself out and looks good. It's going to be a pain spraying with all the bits and pieces on but Stuarts idea of the vaseline is a great idea.. :D

Cheers

Tony

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for your advice thus far.

Today i have removed battery and,pulled back front wiring loom into footwell, thats a job and a half.

Removed Brake servo, Brake and clutch cylinders and associated pipework.

Bits and bobs of other things. The result is as below, no serious rust :rolleyes: , some loose

paint which i have scrapoed off. Worst area is by the Brake master for obvious reasons.

You will see that the front bulkhead is a different colour and thats the main reason for sorting this area.

DSC08386.jpg

DSC08395.jpg

So next move is too remove paint from all of thehorizontal surfaces and sand the rest down, jenolite.

Mask all areas up bondarust, primer and top coats.

Cheers

Guy

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for your advice thus far.

Today i have removed battery and,pulled back front wiring loom into footwell, thats a job and a half.

Removed Brake servo, Brake and clutch cylinders and associated pipework.

Bits and bobs of other things. The result is as below, no serious rust :rolleyes: , some loose

paint which i have scrapoed off. Worst area is by the Brake master for obvious reasons.

You will see that the front bulkhead is a different colour and thats the main reason for sorting this area.

DSC08386.jpg

DSC08395.jpg

So next move is too remove paint from all of thehorizontal surfaces and sand the rest down, jenolite.

Mask all areas up bondarust, primer and top coats.

Cheers

Guy

Guy, if you have added any additional wiring in the engine bay for things like electric fans, electronic ignition, la Cucaracha air horns etc this would be a good time to incorporate that into the loom and re-wrap with loom tape to make it look like new. When I did this I didnt unwrap the loom, just laid the new wiring alongside the existing loom and re-wrapped and developed a good technique for avoiding loose ends.

Stan

:rolleyes:

Guy, if you have added any additional wiring in the engine bay for things like electric fans, electronic ignition, la Cucaracha air horns etc this would be a good time to incorporate that into the loom and re-wrap with loom tape to make it look like new. When I did this I didnt unwrap the loom, just laid the new wiring alongside the existing loom and re-wrapped and developed a good technique for avoiding loose ends.

Stan

Hi Stan,

Yup i have already done that, i have an auxillary loom which has four live and four ignition

circuits. I mounted this in passenger footwell, and wrapped all additional wires into a separate

loom.

Dont fancy re wrapping it into one, bad enough remembering where they all go, TGF cameras.

Good point :rolleyes:

Thanks

Guy

Can't help noticing the kid's bikes in the first photo - that's asking for trouble (i.e. scratches, dents)

You might be asking for advice on touching in external paintwork soon!;)

Regards

Peter

Can't help noticing the kid's bikes in the first photo - that's asking for trouble (i.e. scratches, dents)

You might be asking for advice on touching in external paintwork soon!;)

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

I know what you mean, kids bikes are usualy in a shed round the corner, in this instance the girls came back

from a bike ride, it was raining, and i was out in the Tr, so the little devils snuk them in. :mellow:

I have trained them well around the car, but you never know.

Cheers

Guy