1960 British Racing Green

I intend to have my 1960 3A resprayed BRG but I am unsure which colour to use. I seem to recall that the Triumph code was 75 but my memory may not be that good. There appears to be two BRG one of which is very dark. Bill Piggott's book gives the various paint manufacturer's references but doesn't identify the shades. Any advice on the right BRG for 1960?

Cliff

I intend to have my 1960 3A resprayed BRG but I am unsure which colour to use. I seem to recall that the Triumph code was 75 but my memory may not be that good. There appears to be two BRG one of which is very dark. Bill Piggott's book gives the various paint manufacturer's references but doesn't identify the shades. Any advice on the right BRG for 1960?

Cliff

My TR3a is a December 1959 build. Although it was red when I bought it, underneath the layers it was originally BRG.

I cut out a couple of colour swatches from some of the rusty bits and have had some paint made up to match. I also might have a spare swatch somewhere. If I can find one, I am happy to send you a bit if it will help, just send me a pm with your address.

Rgds Ian

Hi Cliff,

see Alan's comments on

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=21550&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

he might yet come up with the correct BRG formulation

Cheers,

Alec

And this one :

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=21575

It still leaves you just short of the formula for the factory version

of British Racing Green used before Triumph Racing Green was introduced.

I'm still looking for more and better references but at least we know

(I think) that the factory shade of British Racing Green did not change

from the early cars, not until until Triumph Racing Green was introduced,

and that the Triumph and British shades were very very close.

AlanR

Hi Alan,

this site may be of interest

http://home.comcast.net/~rhodes/paint.html

The refs to ICI 2855 / PPG 42487 are probably correct, they coincide with my own notes of 30 years ago. For sure there was a darker BRG shade, as mentioned in the notes on the site above. Given the overlap between Dockers and ICI, the darker early shade may perhaps have been Dockers paint, used in the first instance - for which ICI made up an equivalent ICI 6XA1 ?

Cheers,

Alec

My TR3a is a December 1959 build. Although it was red when I bought it, underneath the layers it was originally BRG.

I cut out a couple of colour swatches from some of the rusty bits and have had some paint made up to match. I also might have a spare swatch somewhere. If I can find one, I am happy to send you a bit if it will help, just send me a pm with your address.

Rgds Ian

Hello Ian and Cliff. One warning to consider. Be careful with your "swatch" color. When my wife and I bought our last house, she picked out a beautiful cream color for the aluminum siding, from the siding "swatches" in the sales office. They painted the house and it was YELLOW! I am colorblind, but she was a decorator. I asked her how she/they could have made such a mistake. She went to the sales office and got the swatch, clearly cream colored. She brought it home and put it up against the siding on the house, BOTH clearly yellow. And the same thing happened to my neighbor who had a Williamsburg Blue house (a greyish blue).

Good luck. I LOVE British Racing Green. But, being colorblind, all of the darker BRGs look BLACK to me. I can only see the lighter ones. I have seen BRGs that I SWORE were black, until a black car pulled up next to them. THEN I could see the difference in the shades.

Again, good luck. It will be a pretty TR!