One spark plug fouling with oil

Hi Edwin

Could be one of a few things, just thinking logically about it it could be: a valve steam oil seal, worn piston rings, worn valve guide, or a defective head gasket across one of the oil gallerys. best thing is to first do a compression test. If its down on compression chances are it will be then its going to be one of the aboved mentioned problems. you can check valve steam oil seals without taking the head off. the rest will require the head to be removed, just look for sideways movement and the state of the bores and condition of the head gasket

Regards

Steve

Hi Edwin

Could be one of a few things, just thinking logically about it it could be: a valve steam oil seal, worn piston rings, worn valve guide, or a defective head gasket across one of the oil gallerys. best thing is to first do a compression test. If its down on compression chances are it will be then its going to be one of the aboved mentioned problems. you can check valve steam oil seals without taking the head off. the rest will require the head to be removed, just look for sideways movement and the state of the bores and condition of the head gasket

Regards

Steve

Steve

They don't have seals fitted as std ;) have a read of his first thread

Steve

They don't have seals fitted as std ;) have a read of his first thread

Hi Neil,

No sorry I havent read it I've just jumped in lol. But yes I know about that, valve steam oil seals are a modern fix/ upgrade to old engines, and on modern stuff are common place.

Steve

Edited by steved69tr6

First of all: 0,5 mm is indeed 0,02 inch and not 0,2... :rolleyes:

I'm hoping that by replacing the guides (and valves) the problem is solved. A while ago I mentioned that I thought the pistons were standard but a closer look showed that besides the "H" marking they also have another marking, some have U20 stamped on top and others U21... I'm hoping that this means that the pistons or rings have been replaced in the past but I can't find any information about these markings. Does anybody have an idea about these markings?

But I think I'm going to start by replacing the guides and valves and possibly remove the pistons to check the rest... and hoping I don't need a full rebuild :(

Edwin

You have a simple choice, sort term fix or not.The pistons would be marked if oversize or not.As before do you know the history/mileage of the car?,fitting seals to worn guides is a waste of time,replace the guides and try it ,by the way the after market seals are a waste of time,but there are some that work ;)

Edited by ntc