TR% front wing fastning (and Rear)

Having just stripped my wings it was very noticeable that the only rust (minor) seemed to be starting around the old fastners and spreading from there. I believe that the rear fastners are the same as the TR6 ie the hex headed CSK screws and spire bolts (readily available in stainless or nickel plated). The fronts however are round (Acme) headed countersunk also with spire nuts. I have had a look around but cannot find any. Anyone been here already ?

Robin

Having just stripped my wings it was very noticeable that the only rust (minor) seemed to be starting around the old fastners and spreading from there. I believe that the rear fastners are the same as the TR6 ie the hex headed CSK screws and spire bolts (readily available in stainless or nickel plated). The fronts however are round (Acme) headed countersunk also with spire nuts. I have had a look around but cannot find any. Anyone been here already ?

Robin

Correct screws for a 5 are raised countersunk slotted with Acme thread and should be overpainted like the wing beads as they were painted as fully fitted shells, most of the stainless ones I have seen are pozi head which doesnt look right to me and arent quite the correct thread to get them really tight in the spire clips. TR Shop front wing fitting kits have the correct ones in ZP and seem to last the course.

Stuart.

Correct screws for a 5 are raised countersunk slotted with Acme thread and should be overpainted like the wing beads as they were painted as fully fitted shells, most of the stainless ones I have seen are pozi head which doesnt look right to me and arent quite the correct thread to get them really tight in the spire clips. TR Shop front wing fitting kits have the correct ones in ZP and seem to last the course.

Stuart.

Agreed Stuart but they do look nice in ss and I hate those spire nut's :P

Thanks guys, so sounds like TR Shop for originality (keep tryingt o find those !"£$% Acme screws in stainless) or non original ss hex heads. Well I guess unless I can find some SS then its TR shop for me. Luckily I have to sort my tub first so have time yet.

Thanks and yes they will be normal stuff for the suspension. I'll probably go for SS under bonnet tho as at least that should be easy.

Robin

Thanks I'll give them a spin. Its really only because when I removed mine (screws) it appeared that the 'rust' was started there (ie the screws) and was spreading out onto the washers then wing tops so I thought I's try stainless to avoid that particular route.

Thanks I'll give them a spin. Its really only because when I removed mine (screws) it appeared that the 'rust' was started there (ie the screws) and was spreading out onto the washers then wing tops so I thought I's try stainless to avoid that particular route.

Robin no washers on front wing top rail screws on a 5 they just go straight in onto the paint hence the rust starting there as the paint gets disturbed. A drop of non setting windscreen sealer in the hole first and waxoyl on the screw thread before fitting helps and clean off after with spirit wipe. Same applies for all body panel acme screws.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart