Surrey soft top

Greeting from the US! New to the forum here, but a regular on the 6-pack.org US site. I have a 69 TR6 that I recently installed a backlight glass on and I now need to purchase a soft top for it, but I read several topics are how poor the repros are fitting. Anyone have any suggestions or advise on which ones are the best of what is avaiable these days?

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Mr. Jim

Hi Jim, the problem with the repro's is that the leading edge seal doesn't fit as well as it might and tends to detach at anything over 50mph. One solution to this is to use a soft top type header rail grafted on to the surrey frame. I did describe this on the 4/4a forum once.

Jerry

Hi Jim,

the Surrey soft tops 'can' fit OK.

If you get one that appears to be a bit ill fitting at the front cap then the metal insert, that is in the roof material, can be removed and replaced with a slightly wider section.

Or try bending the screen capping rail down a touch.

The mod using the convertible rail in theory works but the ones I have seen have had very bad roof material fit - they can look like a baggy pair of trousers.

Roger

The mod using the convertible rail in theory works but the ones I have seen have had very bad roof material fit - they can look like a baggy pair of trousers.

Roger

Then you should look at Neils (ntc) one. Tight as a drum! I fitted one to the last 5 I did and that was a very tight fit as well. It depends on the two rear adjusters as to how tight it is (and a good trimmer ;)) FWIW the Revington one is V V expensive and requires painting of the frame and self assembly :blink: )

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Roger, Stuart,

Thanks for the tips! Yes I see that Revington one is VV $$, for that price I could fabricate it myself using my old frame and top. I belive finding the best top and fitting everything to the TR is key, as all of the used ones seem to only fit the TR it came from as I've tried a few of my friends tops and they all needed tweeking.

Cheers

Mr. Jim

Jim

my soft top on the surrey also used to balloon then blow off at above 50mph. A nice man pointed out that by using a piece of wood about 1/2 deep and 2 ins wide you could tap the leading rail on the surrey into the windscreen capping (you ccan get it to go in at least another 1/2 inch). Takes about 2 mins each time but since starting this its never blown off (speeds to 90mph) and my surrey soft top is v old and tired. Must be worth a try