Threshold plates - original equipment?

Hi all

Can you help please

Scanning through the M--s catalogue I came across Threshold Plates "Original equipment style plates -- alluminium as original"

I do have a stainless steel finisher trim on the inside of the sill postioned vertically. I presume these threshold plates are positioned horizontally to protect the flat surface of the sill.

I am interested in fitting these plates and wondered if they were indeed "original equipment? or were they optional extras?

thanks

Steve

The horizontal threshold plates on the top of the outer sill for sidescreen TRs were never offered by S-T - either as original - nor as an option. If you have seen them on some sidescreen TRs, it's because someone wanted them. They are ideal for hiding holes in the top of the outer sill when you open the door.

I always tuck my lap seatbelt end under me before I open the door to avoid the chrome clasp clanging on the top of the sill and causing paint chips. I also remind my passenger to do the same. The tops of my sills look like new.

The original finishing trim along the inside of the inner sill which hide the sill down to the carpet line were originally aluminium. I bought some made of stainless steel when I was doing my restoration from 1987 to 1990 but I finally bought and installed new aluminium ones - to keep my 1958 TR3A as "original looking" as possible for the concours judges.

Edited by Don Elliott

Steve, the item in Don's pic was called a threshold plate. It was attached vertically to the inner sill with a rolled top that covered the flanged join of the inner and outer sills (rockers in US).

The aluminium plates became pretty tatty with being constantly kicked getting in and out of the car, so more durable stainless steel versions were introduced.

Scuff plates for the horizontal surface of the outer sill were an aftermarket accessory in either aluminium or stainless, to match whatever threshold plates were fitted.

Regards,

Viv

Many garages supplied their own plates with the name of the garage and address all embossed on the top. You need to find who supplied the car new, and locate an original plate and I have a company who will make new ones at about £90.00 each. Let me know what you think.

Hi Richard

I do know the name of the garage that supplied the car in August 1959 but doubt that I could find an original to copy. Currently I could not justify the cost but maybe in the future.

However, now that you have mentioned it I will keep my eyes open for an original if there is such a thing from this garage -"Broadfields Garage" in Cockfosters

thanks

Steve

Thanks Don

I had my doubts as to whether they were original equipment. Like you I have the classic type of static seat belt and have to remind myself to prevent it from dropping on the sill which is also like new.

cheers

Steve

Steve, I have them (aftermarket) on my Miata, and they are GREAT for keeping scuff-marks off the sill. However, if you DO install them, remember that they can get moisture under them. I wax my Miata every 3 months, and I always remove the plates and re-wax the sill, then re-install them.

I also have Don's seatbelt problem on my TR.

Hi George

I've got an open mind on these plates. Must admit I have them fitted on a 13/60 convertible that we have had from new (1968) and they have certainly prevented damage to the sills.

I have never seen them fitted on a sidescreen so will keep my eyes open. I am curious about the garage branded types that Richard mentioned. Again, I will keep my eyes open for these.

Steve