Oil for Trunnions

I've always used Castrol LM grease in the trunnions (17 years)& had negligable wear in the 10 years since I rebuilt the car. (& did the same on a couple of Spitfires I had as daily drivers before that)

I know EP 90 is recommended but why mess about loading a grease gun with oil knowing most of the oil will have dribbled out within a few miles. (Most of the oil in the gun will have dribbled out by the time you get to the trunnion for that matter)

The semi-liquid grease sounds a good alternative.

I use black moly grease, mainly because I couldn't figure out an easy way of getting the oil in without making a mess, so far so good but I havn't really had the car on the road long enough to find out what the long term effects will be

Ron

Know just the stuff, we use it in Land Rover swivel housings, regualr lithium grease is too thick, EP90 falls out. It is available in handy squezy dispenser packs-just snip off the end and dispense into housing. Think the part number is STC4657-but don't hold me to that, any LR dealer will have it on the shelf, price about £4+vat each 500ml

Rob Geeves.

All,

I know about trunnions in Herald based cars, not TRs, but  guess they may be the same.   The problem is that bronze wear particles remain suspended in grease, leading to accelerated wear.   In oil, they fall down into the bottom of the trunnion, off the threads - that's what the vertical slot in the threads is for.

As for oil 'falling out' of the trunnions, the problem there is that unlike the original parts, modern parts have a steel plug, like a core plug, inserted in the base of the cylindrical casting.   Some plugs don't seal well, and the oil leaks out.   If you have new trunnions, clean and degrease them, then apply some epoxy glue around the edge of the plug, inside the trunnion, as a permanent seal.

Then your oil will stay in!

John

The problem is that bronze wear particles remain suspended in grease, leading to accelerated wear.   In oil, they fall down into the bottom of the trunnion, off the threads - that's what the vertical slot in the threads is for. As for oil 'falling out' of the trunnions, the problem there is that unlike the original parts, modern parts have a steel plug, like a core plug, inserted in the base of the cylindrical casting.   Some plugs don't seal well, and the oil leaks out.   If you have new trunnions, clean and degrease them, then apply some epoxy glue around the edge of the plug, inside the trunnion, as a permanent seal.

Then your oil will stay in!

John

Thank you John, you said it all: Not everything is always as cut & dried as it may seem!

I would add that I have never had any problem getting EP 90 into the trunions (or keeping it there). I use an old (35 years old) Wanner grease gun fitted with a flexible nozzle.

Guest P Cobbold

I have used moly grease for past 30 years, and 250,000mile and one set of replacement trunnions.

When greasing, the spent grease is forced up past the upper grease seal, and I have never seen any sign of brass particles. Those particles must come from dried out, suppsedly oil-filled trunnions!

When greasing, the spent grease is forced up past the upper grease seal, and I have never seen any sign of brass particles. Those particles must come from dried out, suppsedly oil-filled trunnions!

Must admit I was puzzled as well by the bronze particles, surely if it is adequately lubricated there shouldn't be any?

Anyway I'll stick to the black molly and if I only have to replace the trunnions once in 250000 miles I won't be complaining.

Ron

During it's first life from 1958 to 1972, I drove "TRusty" about 80,000 miles, many on rural gravel roads in rallies in the heat of Canadian summers.  From 1987 to 1990 , I took it all apart and did a full body off restoration.  I put in new trunnions because the original ones were worn.  Too much angular play - never saw any bronze.  During that time I used regular moly grease as for all the other grease fittings.  The TR3A has a grease fitting at the bottom of the trunnion for this and in 1958, there was no mention of oil lube for the trunnions - only grease.

Since 1990, I have driven more than 78,000 miles with regular greasing of the trunnions about every 3,000 miles but on occasion, drove more than 7,000 miles with no problem.

I always thought that the broached slot up the threads was to let the grease get to the top from the bottom grease fitting.  At the top is a round rubber seal ring.  I pump one or two strokes on my grease gun till I see old grease start to squeeze out the top seal ring.  Then I know it's full.  I agree with Peter above.

However next time, I'm going to start using red AMS synthetic grease for all the grease fittings as I hope that it won't turn the poor quality rubber seals and boots to gum.  

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada

Although GL4 was the recommended stuff from B.L. for the TR6 most garages use grease. Further the picture of the trunnion in my (original) 1969 handbook does not show a grease nipple, but a small bolt covering the OIL INLET, as the book indicates . Maybe this was done on purpose to prevent greasing, I don't know. The oiling sequence is 6000 miles.

As far as I know the tolerance in the original unit was so small

that in the view of the B.L. engineers grease, due to it's high viscosity, was not effective enough to allow a proper and continous lubrication.

The quality of the trunnions available today will of cause allow tar to be used, maybe better.On the other hand these days grease quality is highly improved anyhow.

:)

Jean