Ignition coil gets hot

Hi,

I'm asking for a friend here in Italy who has a TR3 and is desperate.

His ignition coil get so hot after about 10 minutes that it can't be touched and it stops working as does the engine.

He says the electrical system has been checked, replaced the condensator, replaced the points, moved the coil away from the engine, he has tried the fourth coil, always the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help, Tom

problem is engine earth, you must check the Earth cable between the engine and the chassis, usually between the front mounting on the left side, but my memory is not good.

I think I live on Altzhiemers Avenue sometimes.

Hi Tom,

A previous owner of my TR3b has installed an earthing cable between the battery and engine. It is attached to one of the clutch housing bolts and provides a direct earth should one of the two original earth straps be damaged, or missing.

Regards,

John

Is his car still positive earth? if so, has he the correct coil - a modern coil, designed for negative earth, will not function properly.

Has he fitted a coil of the type which requires a ballast resistor in series once the car has started? Some TR6s are equipped with coils which require a ballast resistor, and also many other cars of the 1970s onwards. Such a coil, if supplied with 12 volts continuously, will get VERY hot as it is supposed to be running on about 6 volts once the engine has started (with approximately double the current, there would be four times the power being dissipated in the coil!).

Ian Cornish