TR-3A Wheel clearances?

On a 1961 Triumph TR-3A, does anyone know what size wheels can fit? Currently equipped are the steel wheels and and 165/80/R15 tires. I love the Mini-lites and Panasport wheels but they are crazy expensive. A nice alternative I found that my friend is actually going to use on his TR-6 are the Konig Rewinds. They're a Panasport/Mini-lite reproduction and are available in a bunch of colors (which I really, really like; especially the dark grey graphite with the polished lip :o ) The other, and most convincing point, is the fact that they're only $125 a wheel as opposed to 300 a wheel for the authentic Panasports.

Here's my dilema... Konig makes 14", 15", 16", and even 17" sizes in diameter, BUT, the ONLY available width for all sizes are 7" wide wheels. I remember looking up on mossmotors that the only available panasports that would fit the TR-3 I think were 5.5" wide. Everything wider was for the TR-6 and up.

What is the absolute widest wheel/tire combo that can fit front and/or back and with what backspacing? I'm assuming you could fit a bit wider in the rear, but the front would have to stay tucked inside the fender well at all times, even under lock-to-lock steering.

Will these wheels fit? If not, does anyone know of an alternative panasport/mini-lite knock off of a comparable price range?

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

For all practical purposes the widest rim size for a 3A is 5.5" with a 185 x 15 tyre.

There are cars with 6" rims, but the tyre will rub at the back if the spings are a bit tired, or the car is travelling two up, with luggage and a tank of fuel. The fronts throw a lot of road grime up on the side of the car too. Wide low profile tyres add to the problem.

One owner I know who recently fitted 6" Dayton chromed wire wheels had to pull the rear guards out for clearance, and they still just touch when cornering at speed.

The trouble is there's no market these days for 4 lug x 15" wheels with rims under 6". Minilite type wheels were made in 5" and 5.5" rim years ago, so you might pick up a used set on ebay. I can understand why you are keen as I think they really suit TR's.

Regards,

Viv.

• 1 year later...

I have the Konig Rewinds 16X7 (Graphite with a polished lip) running 205/60 Yokohama Avid TRZ tyres on my TR6. They are definately alot more affordable than the Panasports. Here is a pic of them on my 6.

winner.jpg

There is no way that these will fit width wise on my TR3A. The car currently has a set of wheels made in the UK (M.A.G Product) that are 6 inches wide running 195/60/15's.

P1060575.jpg

P1060558.jpg

I don't think that it would be possible to go any wider than that.

You got me Mike :-) Just saw that you dug an old post up and I was responding to the original poster....

Will wait for the experts to answer but here is my guess. Yes I think that the 5 1/2 will fit on your car however if you were planning on the same for the spare, I don't think that it would fit. I had bought a set of 60 spoke 5 1/2 inch chrome wires for mine and decided to sell them after I decided to keep the "vintage racing" look to my car....

Cheers,

M. Pied Lourd

Edited by M. Pied Lourd

I have the Konig Rewinds 16X7 (Graphite with a polished lip) running 205/60 Yokohama Avid TRZ tyres on my TR6. They are definately alot more affordable than the Panasports. Here is a pic of them on my 6.

winner.jpg

There is no way that these will fit width wise on my TR3A. The car currently has a set of wheels made in the UK (M.A.G Product) that are 6 inches wide running 195/60/15's.

P1060575.jpg

P1060558.jpg

I don't think that it would be possible to go any wider than that.

You got me Mike :-) Just saw that you dug an old post up and I was responding to the original poster....

Will wait for the experts to answer but here is my guess. Yes I think that the 5 1/2 will fit on your car however if you were planning on the same for the spare, I don't think that it would fit. I had bought a set of 60 spoke 5 1/2 inch chrome wires for mine and decided to sell them after I decided to keep the "vintage racing" look to my car....

Cheers,

M. Pied Lourd

Hi M. Pied Lourd,

I have just posted the following query under another topic about rims/tires and did not read your contribution until now. Looking at the picture of your 3A chassis (frame) are these tires 195x60x15? Do you have plenty of clearance and is there any interference with the body. Are these 6J TR6 sized wheels? They certainely look very wide! Have you any opinions on the issues below?

Regards,

Martin

"Here are a few more questions rather than answers. Not-with-standing all the problems that one may experience with wider tires such as heavy jiggy steering (we have fitted EPS so the heaviness isn't an issue) what is the physical size limit that one can fit to a modernised Sidescreen? Is there someone out there who has used 6J in a Sidescreen without interference? We are currently building a 'fast road' with a normal TR3A chassis (not a TR4 chassis) so in theory there is plenty of room. The suspension has been lowered which may give less room but also has been stiffened which should allow for less variation in ride height. Do centre-laced wire wheels move the tire further out towards the wing and is this an issue? Roger Williams says that a sidescreen can easily accomodadate a TR6 5.5J wire wheel (185x70x15) and I wonder would a 6J also fit with slightly lower profile, say 195x65x15?

Regards,

Martin"

Edited by TR Man