Hello Folks,

On my TCF-series TR3B, I have to install a vacuum pipe assembly from the spark advance to the intake manifold.

Standard-Triumph never heard of the assembly, so neither does The Roadster Factory. I was able to find FOUR vacuum pipes at Moss, with TWO adapters that fit into the intake manifold under the front carb. There are two adapters, one for the TR2 and one for the TR3. I ordered a pipe and the TR3 adapter.

Well, the threads on the adapter are wrong on BOTH ends; i.e., they do not fit the manifold and do not fit the female fitting on the pipe. So, I will return the TR3 adapter and try the TR2 adapter. I am not too optimistic.

So, here is my question to you. If the TR2 adapter will also not fit, SHOULD I RETURN THE ADAPTER AND THE PIPE, OR KEEP THE PIPE BECAUSE ONE OF YOU KNOWS OF A WAY TO ADAPT THE PIPE TO THE MANIFOLD?

I am desperate enough on this that I have contacted the previous owner, to see if he, by ANY chance, kept the adapter that he took out of the manifold when he removed the vacuum pipe assembly.

Your expert advice is appreciated.

George, let's work on your car having the original inlet manifold and H6 SU carbs with push on fuel lines.

Firstly the vacuum pipe goes from the front carbie to the vacuum unit on the Dizzy. For late 3A's and 3B's this vacuum line was just plain tube with rubber sleeve connections each end.

There was never any vacuum connection to the inlet manifold.

On the front carbie there should be a nozzle in the body for the vacuum pipe. Check that it's hollow and not blanked off or filled with anything. Next goes a female right angle rubber coupling. The vacuum tube pushes into this coupling horizontally.

Now if there are female brass fittings on the vacuum pipe you were sent, that's for earlier cars. If you want to keep it, you can just cut a short piece from each end to make it a plain pipe for push on coupling.

Over the years many cars had the vacuum disconnected, as the diaphragm in the unit on the dizzy became hardened, and failed to provide any advance. You can test the diaphragm by taking the dizzy cap off and applying suction via a rubber hose to see if there's any movement of the dizzy plate.

Best of luck with it.

Viv.

Hello George,

My TR3b was imported from the USA 13 or so years ago and the first local owner was "VIVDOWNUNDER", who has responded to your question. My car is missing the vacuum advance system for exactly the reason which Viv describes. Fuel residues contaminate the works and the system dies. On my car the distributor was overhauled during the PO's custody and the system was removed because it was ineffective. Unless you are a stickler for originality, it becomes "surplus to requirements".

The car in question is TCF2650L and since in Australia, has had O/D fitted and been converted to RHD. I am not intending to do a body off resto. but am progressively working through some significant refurbishment.

Regards,

John

Hey Viv and Richard,

Right you are!!! I went digging under the front carb. Sho' nuff, there was the stump of a brass pipe coming out of the carb, flattened and bent 90 degrees. Well, I was temporarily ecstatic. Then, I tried my adapter and fittings from Moss. No luck on either one; one too small, one too large. So, I put the "stump" back in, and will live with it.

When I traced my friend's TR3B vacuum pipe, it was in the dark, and I was SURE that it ran to the bottom of the manifold. Nope. It ran to the carburetor.

Live and learn: I am still at the D-minus stage, but I should be able to work my way up to the D-plus stage in a year or so.

Thanks again, guys.

Live and learn: I am still at the D-minus stage, but I should be able to work my way up to the D-plus stage in a year or so.

It's certainly a lot easier to graduate to a higher level quickly nowadays with this Forum. Many of us learned everything the hard way by making mistakes and asking questions at local group meetings, which were few and far between in the early days of the TR Register. I guess without the Forum, things wouldn't be much better even now for many non-UK owners living in more widely dispersed areas.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting to A-star level - I'm still only at C after 37 years of TR-ownership. Only the professionals like Stuart and those who have rebuilt cars in their entirety are at guru status.