Long Door TR 2 Trim

Hi all, On my long door TR2 restoration I have now got around to re-fitting the aluminium trim cappings. I know the capping immediately behind the doors fits over/outside the dog leg panel in front of and above the rear wheel arch, unlike later cars.

I assume the capping immediately behind the one referred to above, that the hood frame bolts through, is also fitted over/outside the dog leg panel ? All the reference pictures I have seen bar one show the hood frame cover in place and the only shot without is inconclusive due to the angle. My resto project came in boxes 5 years ago and the removed cappings had been privately re timmed once in the distant past so no real clues there.

Advice from other long door owners or any other knowlegeable folk would be appreciated.

See you at Malvern (I'll be in the 4 again, the 2 isn't going to be ready in time). :(

Edited by Trevor S
Hi all, On my long door TR2 restoration I have now got around to re-fitting the aluminium trim cappings.

I know the capping immediately behind the doors fits over/outside the dog leg panel in front of and above

the rear wheel arch, unlike later cars.

I assume the capping immediately behind the one referred to above, that the hood frame bolts through,

is also fitted over/outside the dog leg panel ? All the reference pictures I have seen bar one show the

hood frame cover in place and the only shot without is inconclusive due to the angle. My resto project

came in boxes 5 years ago and the removed cappings had been privately re timmed once in the distant

past so no real clues there.

Advice from other long door owners or any other knowlegeable folk would be appreciated.. :(

I had some early aluminium elbow cappings long time ago and I seem to recall

that the elbow cappings base had a step pressed in that allows the correct fitting

over the dog leg panel.

I also have the matching side trims and rear trim in aluminium and I'm sure that

these did NOT have the same step in the pressing.

Are yours like that? That should be a clue.

AlanR

Hi all, On my long door TR2 restoration I have now got around to re-fitting the aluminium trim cappings. I know the capping immediately behind the doors fits over/outside the dog leg panel in front of and above the rear wheel arch, unlike later cars.

I assume the capping immediately behind the one referred to above, that the hood frame bolts through, is also fitted over/outside the dog leg panel ? All the reference pictures I have seen bar one show the hood frame cover in place and the only shot without is inconclusive due to the angle. My resto project came in boxes 5 years ago and the removed cappings had been privately re timmed once in the distant past so no real clues there.

Advice from other long door owners or any other knowlegeable folk would be appreciated.

See you at Malvern (I'll be in the 4 again, the 2 isn't going to be ready in time). :(

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by the "dog leg panel" or the "one behind" is it the trim panel that fits to the inner 1/4 panel and the rear deck capping/rear cockpit i.e. fuel tank trim panel? I can look in the loft at my panels to look for witness marks for clues if I know for sure what you are asking. My car came in boxes also so I don't know if any witness marks will be as original. Regards

Hello Trevor,

I am pretty certain the long one at the rear fits under the dog leg cappings that in turn fit under the large cappings that go down to the door. As soon as we get a break in the weather I will uncover the 2 and check. I used all the original aluminium cappings that were on the car so the pressings in them were as they left the factory. The fit was terrible even though I was convinced they had never been removed from the car.

Nigel (with TS952)

Thank you all for your efforts on my behalf. I'm sorry if I have not made myself clear. The trim capping to which I refer is numbers 6 & 7 in Plate AP of the ST Spare Parts Catalogue. There is a capping on the door itself, there is then a capping immediately behind the door sitting at about 45 degrees on top of the quarter panel and there is then another capping between that one and the long capping running horizontally across the rear deck. It is the two cappings immediately in front of the long horizontal one to which I am referring. In the drawing it appears to be fitted over the quarter panel trim panel. I have a photo of a "wicker " trimmed car which appears to confirm this, but the angle of the photo is not particularly good. The re trimmed cappings I have appear to show indentations in the vinyl from the cups around the screws to indicate it was placed over the quarter panel trim and not under it as on later cars. However these cappings had clearly had a home re trim in the past and need doing again so don't guarantee originality.

Alan, the cappings immediately behind the doors do have a "step" in the pressing as you suggest to allow for the sitting over the quarter panel trim panel, but the cappings to which I refer don't.

I appreciate it is no big deal which way around they fit really but as I have a choice at this stage which way round to fit them I would prefer them to be correct.

I will have to hope there are a few long door TR2s at Malvern that I can have a snoop around.

Thanks again.

I appreciate it is no big deal which way around they fit really but as I have a choice at this stage

which way round to fit them I would prefer them to be correct.

I will have to hope there are a few long door TR2s at Malvern that I can have a snoop around.

But it IS a big deal fitting this properly.

I was expecting someone to have given an authoritative answer

by now, but it seems not.

I'm sure the side capping you are querying fits under the dog

leg trim panel.

I think you will find that the change from the elbow capping (fitted

over the dog leg panel) adjacent to the side capping (fitted under

the dog leg panel) will be hidden by the hood frame bracket.

AlanR

Hello again Trevor,

Photo of the capping on my 2. Trim already coming unstuck, probably something to do with getting very hot then cold and wet <_< . These were put back on as they were originally (see previous post).

Nigel (with TS952)

Hello again Trevor,

Photo of the capping on my 2. Trim already coming unstuck, probably something to do with getting very hot then cold and wet <_< . These were put back on as they were originally (see previous post).

Nigel (with TS952)

Hello all, hope you don't think i'm hijacking your post Trevor but, I think this is relevent; I too have a long door and also a short door 2 which I will need to make a decision on one day hopefully, when I finally get around to rebuilding them, on whether to lead load the 1/4 panel to rear deck join or, have it showing as a seam. (see Nigel's pic) Nigel's car shows no seam;so what was the factory method? I have spoken to owners showing their cars at internationals and it doesn't seem there is right or wrong method. I wonder what the judges opinions are, not that I am intending to build a show car, but it would be nice to have it as original as possible, (Trevors original reason for his post.) Do you have the seam on your rebuild Trevor or is it filled over? I was thinking if it makes no difference, why not seam weld it first before filling to give more stiffness. Regards Ken.

Ken,

Its lead loaded on mine, nearly 1/4" lead. Had to grind out one side, cut and reweld as one side was lower than the other. Could see no reason, no indication of accident damage but knowing the state of the original 4 slot bonnet which had definitely been used as a seat I wonder if the rear deck had been used to stand on.

Nigel (with TS952)

Hi Ken,

TR2/3/3A's up to TS60000 had that panel join filled, after which the body was re-tooled, and the vertical seam was left exposed.

You sometimes see later cars with the join filled after repairs, as panel shops wouldn't have realised that the seam was originally left exposed.

It's like the "duckbill" in the apron of 3A's that gets beaten to all sorts of shapes during the repair of frontal collisions.

On TR2 and TR3's the S shaped capping immediately behind the door was stepped to go over the quarter panel trim. The step was deleted and the capping went beneath the trim when the factory introduced the new seats on the first TR3A's. Thereafter the rear quarter trim panel was finished against the capping with a flexible bead (usually a contrasting colour), which continued forward along the top of the door panel. This contrasting bead was also introduced on the new 3A seats.

Regards,

Viv.

Hi Ken,

TR2/3/3A's up to TS60000 had that panel join filled, after which the body was re-tooled, and the vertical seam was left exposed.

You sometimes see later cars with the join filled after repairs, as panel shops wouldn't have realised that the seam was originally left exposed.

It's like the "duckbill" in the apron of 3A's that gets beaten to all sorts of shapes during the repair of frontal collisions.

On TR2 and TR3's the S shaped capping immediately behind the door was stepped to go over the quarter panel trim. The step was deleted and the capping went beneath the trim when the factory introduced the new seats on the first TR3A's. Thereafter the rear quarter trim panel was finished against the capping with a flexible bead (usually a contrasting colour), which continued forward along the top of the door panel. This contrasting bead was also introduced on the new 3A seats.

Regards,

Viv.

Wow such knowledgable ppl on this forum. Thanks for replies guys. How many TR'S are there in Oz? I am hoping to holiday there in our winter, it would be nice to see some TRolling around in the sunshine. regards

Well Ken, as best we know there were just over 750 sidescreen TR's delivered new into Oz, plus say 40 latter day imports, with perhaps 450-500 of those surviving. Roughly two thirds of those would be on the road, and the others parked up for one reason or another.

Sightings are pretty much limited to Sundays these days, although the TR Register in Sydney has occasional Wednesday Warrior runs for those of leisure.

Regards,

Viv.