Surrey Top leading edge?

Surrey tops….. I know it’s a long running issue but I have been told that you can retro fit the front mechanism from the original frame of a hood in to a surrey top which eliminate the problem of the front edge coming away at speed. Has anyone every seen or performed this modification and if so have you any photos or advice.

Regards,

I have been told that you can retro fit the front mechanism from the

original frame of a hood in to a surrey top which eliminate the problem

of the front edge coming away at speed. Has anyone every seen or

performed this modification and if so have you any photos or advice.

Have you checked this thread ?

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=19035

AlanR

You do not necessarily need to mod the front of the surrey top with a convertable rail. The reason that the front usually comes out is that the gap between the capping and the windscreen frame is too big for the metal strip in the fabric that fits under the capping.

If you can't manage to bend the capping down a little bit then it may be possible to insert a wider strip of metal into the fabric packet - this would ensure that it stays in place.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
Surrey tops….. I know it’s a long running issue but I have been told that you can retro fit the front mechanism from the original frame of a hood in to a surrey top which eliminate the problem of the front edge coming away at speed. Has anyone every seen or performed this modification and if so have you any photos or advice.

Regards,

You will need to source a header rail with the same fittings to fit your screen frame - they are not all the same. Otherwise it's a simple job. ;)

Saw off the pins from the surrey frame leaving the round tube. This is just the right size to take a 3/8 tap. Take a couple of studs (or bolts and saw the heads off them). Screw these into the tapped ends of the frame and add a nut. Take your header rail and fit it to the screen frame. Now mark and drill a hole in the header rail to take the studs. Adjust as required.

Take your canvas surrey top and carefully unpick the front seam. Fit to the car and fix to header rail as per normal - there is just enough fabric to turn over the front edge and under the rubber seal fixing (but only just).

Jerry.

• 1 year later...