Alumimium Brake Drum Problem

Hi All,

We have fitted new finned aluminium brake drums but there has been quite significant interference with the back plates, specifically with the flange on the inside of the back plates.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so how was it remedied?

It seems to us that all we can do is to grind away some of the back plate flange. Unfortunately we don't have easy access to a lathe.

Best wishes,

Martin

Have you contacted the supplier? Always the first port of call when something supplied doesn't appear to fit correctly or causes a problem.

Ian Cornish

Hi Martin

This is one of the issues with the currently available radially finned drums (which are based on those originally cast for the Datsun 240Z) and the only answer is to machine the drum down (both the steel inner and the alloy segment, taking great care not to crack the fins). Unfortunately you will need to have this done in a lathe to get it right, otherwise you will still get either contact or vibration when the brakes are applied. A local engineering company will be able to do this, but you also need to given them a hub and backplate to mock up the fit properly. Also, look out for other issues of fit such as shoe contact area, stud fitting and the location of the securing screws. Sometimes none of this is right either.

Obviously as Ian C says, contact your supplier first as they should really be able to provide you with something thats fit for purpose or a refund. If you end up stuck with them Im afraid modification is the only way to make them good enough to use.

Regards

Tony

Hi Martin

This is one of the issues with the currently available radially finned drums (which are based on those originally cast for the Datsun 240Z) and the only answer is to machine the drum down (both the steel inner and the alloy segment, taking great care not to crack the fins). Unfortunately you will need to have this done in a lathe to get it right, otherwise you will still get either contact or vibration when the brakes are applied. A local engineering company will be able to do this, but you also need to given them a hub and backplate to mock up the fit properly. Also, look out for other issues of fit such as shoe contact area, stud fitting and the location of the securing screws. Sometimes none of this is right either.

Obviously as Ian C says, contact your supplier first as they should really be able to provide you with something thats fit for purpose or a refund. If you end up stuck with them Im afraid modification is the only way to make them good enough to use.

Regards

Tony

Thank you Ian and Tony,

Ian, I bought the drums in the early 1990s from Tr Bitz - we're involved in a slow restoration process! I suppose it's a bit late to be complaining now. However they are very helpful at TR Bitz and I am sure will offer some advice.

Thanks Tony for your advice obviously you have come across this type of problem before. When you point it out it seems obvious that a lathe is the only sure method of doing a good job. We'll make some enquiries locally.

Thank you both again.

Regards,

Martin.

Same thing happened to me. I just filed the back flange until the noise stopped. No big deal.

As TR4Tony said, check the studs positioning. I had to work on the holes in the drums a bit too.

Badfrog

Same thing happened to me. I just filed the back flange until the noise stopped. No big deal.

As TR4Tony said, check the studs positioning. I had to work on the holes in the drums a bit too.

Badfrog

Thanks for relating your experience, Badfrog. Just what we were looking for - a cheap and cheerful answer to the problem. This is where we will start.

Kind regards,

Martin