TR-3 weight distribution

Bless your heart Don, that made me chuckle out loud, and I needed that on a Friday afternoon like this one! Reason is, this poor old dear hasn't run since I'd guess, maybe 1975. When I bought it 30 years ago, the first thing I did was strip it down to the last nut and bolt! I was young, and dumb(er) and when the babies started to arrive I put all the bits in a shed and promised myself I'd get back to it. In the intervening years the shed sort of fell down on it, the mice ate thru most of the card board boxes and peed on all the parts and labels, etc. I damn near gave up on her, but 2 years ago I dug her out and started from scratch! Long story short, the original frame was un-salvageable so I bought a Ratco replacement and am making it into a track day/fun car. The front suspension has adjustable camber; I need the weight balance so I can ballast the frame properly to set and weld-up the camber plates. (I know I'm nuts, you don't need to tell me...but I am having a ball!!!) Can't wait to drive it- still at least a year or even two away, but it's coming! Thanks again-Kevin

Kevin - I bought my 1958 TR3A brand new 51 years ago and drove it 80,250 miles till 1972 by which time it was a basket case. Then it sat in my warm heated (no mice) garage till 1987. It took me three years to restore. You can see a few photos on the Montreal TR site. I've driven it 100,000 miles since 1990.

http://www.rucompatible.com/triumphmtl/member_cars.htm#TR3

Kevin - I bought my 1958 TR3A brand new 51 years ago and drove it 80,250 miles till 1972 by which time it was a basket case. Then it sat in my warm heated (no mice) garage till 1987. It took me three years to restore. You can see a few photos on the Montreal TR site. I've driven it 100,000 miles since 1990.

http://www.rucompatible.com/triumphmtl/member_cars.htm#TR3

Thanks for the link, Don. The page isn't opening right now, but I'll ck it out later and see if the server is up to speed. I've read a great many of your very helpful posts here, since joining a couple of years ago. You and guys like Menno have been a real inspiration to me while getting back into this project. Kevin

You and guys like Menno have been a real inspiration to me while getting back into this project

And in fact, guys like Don were (are) my inspiration. Mind you, I don't think I had been able to complete all so fast without the help from forum members.

Anyway, I'm always willing to answer a PM if you have any questions.

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij

Further update...I got an email from Neil Revington at Revington TR. He says that the 1000kg of a stock TR-3 is distributed 51% front, 49% rear, which is kinda hard for me to imagine, but.... It just seems to me that with all the heavy stuff up front, and so little in the boot, it'd be more like Don's recollection of the 55/45 split.

When I saw Neil on Saturday, I queried the 51/49, asking whether that was with crew aboard. He said "no, that's just the car without its crew". I, too, find that surprising, but Neil is one of the most knowledgeable of TR men and has probably made measurements when undertaking the design of the various upgrade packages which he offers. He did quote some slightly different percentages for other models, but I didn't have notebook and pen to hand to record them (well, it was a wedding celebration!).

ian Cornish

When I saw Neil on Saturday, I queried the 51/49, asking whether that was with crew aboard. He said "no, that's just the car without its crew". I, too, find that surprising, but Neil is one of the most knowledgeable of TR men and has probably made measurements when undertaking the design of the various upgrade packages which he offers. He did quote some slightly different percentages for other models, but I didn't have notebook and pen to hand to record them (well, it was a wedding celebration!).

ian Cornish

Thanks, Ian. I appreciate the confirmation/clarification!

Kevin