Variations in Panels

I am currently rebuilding a TR3a that I bought sight unseen in the States - not to be recommended I know!

I have known for a long a time that it had been repaired at some time in the past and that although the chassis hadn't been affected, the RHS rear wing and door had been replaced with parts from a donor vehicle. The door was from a TR2 and I suspect that the rear wing was as well.

Anyway, to get to the point of this post, I have now noticed that there are quite significant differences between the LH and RH rear wing panels (the LHS is original). There is significantly more 'bulge' in the newer LHS panel (the car is TS63###) compared to the RHS and I have confirmed this by measuring the length of arc from the top of the panel directly above the wheel arch down to top of the arch. On the LHS it is 7.25 inches and on the RHS it is only just over 7 inches.

I have to do some repair work on the top of the RHS wing so at the same time I will introduce the correct amount of additional metal but does anyone out there know if there was a significant change in the rear wing pressings between the TR2 and the post 60k TR3 - or is this just run of the mill poor manufacturing tolerances?

Rgds Ian

I am currently rebuilding a TR3a that I bought sight unseen in the States - not to be recommended I know!

I have known for a long a time that it had been repaired at some time in the past and that although the chassis hadn't been affected, the RHS rear wing and door had been replaced with parts from a donor vehicle. The door was from a TR2 and I suspect that the rear wing was as well.

Anyway, to get to the point of this post, I have now noticed that there are quite significant differences between the LH and RH rear wing panels (the LHS is original). There is significantly more 'bulge' in the newer LHS panel (the car is TS63###) compared to the RHS and I have confirmed this by measuring the length of arc from the top of the panel directly above the wheel arch down to top of the arch. On the LHS it is 7.25 inches and on the RHS it is only just over 7 inches.

I have to do some repair work on the top of the RHS wing so at the same time I will introduce the correct amount of additional metal but does anyone out there know if there was a significant change in the rear wing pressings between the TR2 and the post 60k TR3 - or is this just run of the mill poor manufacturing tolerances?

Rgds Ian

Ian the very early TR2 rear wings were significantly different to later TR2 ones which are also different to later 3a wings. As there was a complete re-jig at post 60000 I think they are slightly different as well. I have had to cut wings in half over the arch and then fit front and rear halves seperately and then weld in a filler strip to get them to fit before now! Virtually every time I have had to change a wing for one from another car I have had to make them fit their new location. Hand built motor cars ;)

Stuart.

Ian the very early TR2 rear wings were significantly different to later TR2 ones

I remember the good old days when you could still get TR parts

from your local Triumph dealer.

Stocks of 3A rear wings ran out before the early TR2 wings, so

the smart guys bought the wings under the TR2 part number.

Only difference I'm aware of is that the rear light, TR2 to TR3/3A

was different, (early TR2s had the square lens) so although the

whole wing profile was the same, the small plate to fix the rear

light was different.

I don't know of any difference between pre- and post-60,001 wings.

Bonnet and boot were different (raised hinges) and I think the doors

as well (same reason).

AlanR

I remember the good old days when you could still get TR parts

from your local Triumph dealer.

Stocks of 3A rear wings ran out before the early TR2 wings, so

the smart guys bought the wings under the TR2 part number.

Only difference I'm aware of is that the rear light, TR2 to TR3/3A

was different, (early TR2s had the square lens) so although the

whole wing profile was the same, the small plate to fix the rear

light was different.

I don't know of any difference between pre- and post-60,001 wings.

Bonnet and boot were different (raised hinges) and I think the doors

as well (same reason).

AlanR

Its quite obvious when you stand behind and look at the profile of the wing as the whole lower curve is different and also the way it comes into the rear light plinth which is a lot narrower.

Stuart.

Guest colinTR2

Hi guys,

And just to complicate things further, weren't there some USA imported wings came over, maybe in the seventies, which are somewhat different too. Tony next door says these are fitted to his 3A which he rebuilt mid-seventies, and they are more shapely, quite different. But who notices, and cares? both sides are similar and it still looks and behaves as a 3A should. So these may turn up as replacements.

Colin

Its quite obvious when you stand behind and look at the profile of the wing as

the whole lower curve is different and also the way it comes into the rear light

plinth which is a lot narrower.

Stuart.

Not a lot of people knew that. Including me.

Perhaps it's because in the 70s, with nothing else available,

no-one cared so much about the different profile.

AlanR

Hi all,

I wouldn't have bothered if it hadn't been for the fact that the difference between the two sides was noticeable.

Anyway, I marked out each panel with a grid in using a felt tip marker and then carried out some measurements along the grid lines. I ended up having to cut the wing lengthwise and insert a filler that was approximately 1/4 inch wide along the length of the wing tapering at the front and rear. Both wings now look similar except that I still have to lead fill the repair.

Its amazing how much difference 1/4 inch made to the profile of the wing in terms of making it more bulbous.

By the way, I know it would have been easier to cut a strip out of the other wing but I needed to let some patches into the top of the one I adjusted and I did this at the same time.

Rgds Ian