TR2/3 Master Cylinder

Hi Guys -

Can any one please help - I am having terrible trouble with the master cylinder on my TR2 It has been rebuilt on several occasions and the braking system is all brand new. However the system still pressurises after several miles. I have finally given up with it and have decided to go to a 3A master cylinder and braking system. Could anyone please tell me what parts are required and/or if anyone has any of the parts necessary for sale I would be pleased to hear from you? Looking forward to your response.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Guys -

Can any one please help - I am having terrible trouble with the master cylinder on my TR2 It has been rebuilt on several occasions and the braking system is all brand new. However the system still pressurises after several miles. I have finally given up with it and have decided to go to a 3A master cylinder and braking system. Could anyone please tell me what parts are required and/or if anyone has any of the parts necessary for sale I would be pleased to hear from you? Looking forward to your response.

Cheers, Steve

Check the adjustment of the pushrod which goes into the master cylinder. If there's insufficient free play the piston in the master cylinder will not be able to fully return and the system will pressurise.

Had this problem years ago on a Minor 1000.

JeffR

Thanks for that Jeff but I have exhausted all possibilities with the master cylinder. It has been in and out the garage on numerous occasions and I am definitely going for the 3A system now.

Cheers, Steve

Check the adjustment of the pushrod which goes into the master cylinder. If there's insufficient free play the piston in the master cylinder will not be able to fully return and the system will pressurise.

Had this problem years ago on a Minor 1000.

JeffR

... I am definitely going for the 3A system now.

Make sure you keep the old master cylinder together with associated parts and pipework, as any prospective purchaser (should you ever need/decide to sell) will almost certainly want to return it to original.

I can't believe this is an insoluble problem - perhaps you are using the wrong garage?

Steve

Some years ago I changed my front drum brakes to early disc brakes but although they were a great improvment over the drums, I did find that they would bind and get very hot. I cured this very simply by removing the check valve from the rear of the brake cylinder bore in the master cylinder, in other words, I assembled it exactly as the clutch bore. This valve is there to maintain slight pressure in the brake fluid system to reduce brake "knock off". I have never found this to be a problem and only get slightly more pedal travel even after very hard cornering. My TR2 had five years of everyday use like this and never gave any cause for concern. Worth a try before you start splashing out dosh.

Les

Many thanks for all your replies. I will give it another look but any further advice or info would be appreciated.

Steve

Steve

Some years ago I changed my front drum brakes to early disc brakes but although they were a great improvment over the drums, I did find that they would bind and get very hot. I cured this very simply by removing the check valve from the rear of the brake cylinder bore in the master cylinder, in other words, I assembled it exactly as the clutch bore. This valve is there to maintain slight pressure in the brake fluid system to reduce brake "knock off". I have never found this to be a problem and only get slightly more pedal travel even after very hard cornering. My TR2 had five years of everyday use like this and never gave any cause for concern. Worth a try before you start splashing out dosh.

Les

Hi Guys -

Cheers, Steve

Internally collapsed flexible pipe?

Nick

Edited by Nick Webster