Hi all,

As you've seen on the pic I posted in the 'coil bolts' topic, the coil I use is a Lucas Sports Coil. I've heard mixt things about this coil: some say, use it. Others state that this type of coil will burn the points in no time.

So, what's your experience and / or advise?

Menno

Hi all,

As you've seen on the pic I posted in the 'coil bolts' topic, the coil I use is a Lucas Sports Coil. I've heard mixt things about this coil: some say, use it. Others state that this type of coil will burn the points in no time.

So, what's your experience and / or advise?

Menno

I have one in my 4 and have had no problems but it doesnt do that many miles a year so not too good a test.

Stuart.

Let me explain: someone ( and that guy is the Dutch equivalent of Martin Jay, I might add) told me that the sports coil was intended for... motorsport (...) During weekends, owners of classic cars drove their cars to the racetracks, mounted fresh contact points and the sport coil. Drove like h*ll on the circuit and before they returned home, they mounted their 'daily driver' coil and points again: the power (the correct word in English?) of the sportscoil would burn away the contact points when used during a longer period.

I think that Lumention, Aldon and or Pertronix are a good fit with the sports coil: strong current from the coil and no contact points to be burned.

I'll keep you updated on what will happen in the near future!

Menno

Let me explain: someone ( and that guy is the Dutch equivalent of Martin Jay, I might add) told me that the sports coil was intended for... motorsport (...) During weekends, owners of classic cars drove their cars to the racetracks, mounted fresh contact points and the sport coil. Drove like h*ll on the circuit and before they returned home, they mounted their 'daily driver' coil and points again: the power (the correct word in English?) of the sportscoil would burn away the contact points when used during a longer period.

I think that Lumention, Aldon and or Pertronix are a good fit with the sports coil: strong current from the coil and no contact points to be burned.

I'll keep you updated on what will happen in the near future!

Menno

Hi Menno,

I used to run a Lucas Sports coil on my Vitesse about 15 years ago. It was built and used as a rally car (which is why I fitted that coil to start with) but I also used it as an (almost) daily driver for about 4 years through rush-hour traffic in London: lots of miles and many of them at low speed. Points didn't burn noticeably quickly - I probably replaced them every 9-12 months or so.

I'd keep it.

Tim