Worn clutch release levers

Hello,

The release levers in my TR3A clutch are worn, as the photo illustrates, evidently due to the rubbing of the release bearing.

I plan to grind the point of the levers, until getting again a smooth and flat surface.

Any hint or comment for or against this procedure?

Thanks for reading.

Jesus

When I was a poor student in college, I had this problem with my 1958 TR3A. The ends had become flat. So I took them out and MIG welded enough metal back onto the flats, then I ground them back to the smooth radius they had when they were new. It lasted quite a while, but I bought a new clutch more recently. The last time I had it apart again, I noticed that the round ends of the three levers were starting to become flat again.

They should have a smooth curve to them when new.

Don, thank you for your quick response.

I supposed that the lever point should be flat. In what direction should the curve go: along the body of the lever or across it?

Jesus

Jesus - I also remember buying 6 new levers and putting in three each of two times. Also I made sure when putting it all back together that I had the pressure plate flat and vertical so one side would not be higher than another part. I have modified your photo to show you the curve.

Don, thank you for the effort in showing me the way.

I have ground the points of the levers forming this curved surface, without adding metal by welding. I hope that they will withstand for some years like that.

Incidentally, are these release levers available at some vendor?

I bought those six release levers from a clutch and brake re-pair shop which had piles of old parts in a box under a bench. Many were really bad, some were better and 6 were new. You might have such a shop in your town. I can't direct you to a specific supplier. Try asking either a TR parts supplier or a clutch manufacturer or their suppliers.

Hello,

The release levers in my TR3A clutch are worn, as the photo illustrates,

evidently due to the rubbing of the release bearing.

I plan to grind the point of the levers, until getting again a smooth and flat surface.

Any hint or comment for or against this procedure?

Since the Don and myself have both had the same problem, in

my case (and probably Don's) some years ago with a genuine

B&B pressure plate, it leads me to wonder why this happens.

With me, it happened within the space of a few thousand miles.

What did we do wrong?

You need to consider this before any repair or the same thing

will happen again.

AlanR

One time, the curve was so flat and so deep that all that was left were the two side "ears". All the curve (and all the flat) had been worn through.

As to the reason, I can't say, but I know that I try to set the return spring strong enough so that the throw-out bearing does not rub on these three finger levers. Also, I do not ride the clutch. I sit at traffic lights in neutral, not in gear with the clutch pedal depressed.

Maybe I double de-clutch too often.

Maybe Stuart can shed some light on this.

Evidently the wear occurs due to rubbing of the release bearing surface on the lever points. In the case of a permanent or often occasional contact of the bearing and the levers, the bearing should spin, so that no relative motion should occur, and hence no wearing. Indeed, there are clutch mechanisms that are designed for a permanent contact between the levers or diaphragm and the release bearing.

When the clutch is operating, even with the slightest pedal force, the bearing should spin driven by the release levers, and hence, no wearing should be caused.

Hence, as far as I understand, the wearing would happen always during the first instants of the engaging and disengaging between bearing and levers, and in the case of a faulty, frozen bearing.

Of course, the actions commented by Don are essential to avoid the contact of the bearing with the levers, as it is keeping the end float at the slave cylinder and fork assembly.