Tyre Pressures For 4a Wheels

I have just purchased a 1966 TR4a fitted with wire wheels and 195x65x15 pirelli tyres.

I cannot find the tyre pressures in the handbook,or anywhere else I would vey much appreciate any suggestions as to what pressures I should use.

Many thanks Babs

Babs,

Congratulations on your new purchase, I had noted your various requests / searches for the right car for some time now.

I assume that the car you now have needs little work and thus you will be out and about in it over the Bank Holiday - enjoy..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have checked my TR4A Handbook, which is an original dated 1966, and on page 58 it sets out the varoius tyre pressures, so possibly you have a re-print with this information omitted?

Anyway I have included a copy of the page for your information :

1TR4ATyrepressures.jpg

Regards, Richard ;)

Babs as you have oversized tyres the original tyre pressure guide means very little. I would start with 24 front 26 rear and then experiment by raising or lowering the pressures by a couple of pounds each time and trying the car on the same bit of road until you are happy with the settings and then make a note of it and keep to those pressures.

Stuart.

Babs as you have oversized tyres

WELL oversized. although obviously this depends on what wheel

width you have. If you have standard 4½" wheels, these won't

put more rubber on the road, they will be more unstable and may

even be dangerous and/or illegal, but I'll let someone more

knowledgeable than me give an authoritative answer.

AlanR

Alan is correct - with 195 tyres, you need 5.5 inch width rim, as on TR6. The 195/65 profile will give you an overall diameter fairly close to the original radial tyre specification (165 Michelin X), so your speedometer & odometer will be reasonably accurate.

Ian Cornish

Hi Babs

Yes 5.5 or 6 inch rims would be the way to go.

We have a live axle car on 6 inch rims and the tyre pressures are as Stuart recommends.

In the dry superb, in the wet the back end is very entertaining.

We do have the Revington suspension mods fitted front and back which does change the handling characteristics though.

Cheers

Darren

THANKS FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS THE CAR HAS 5.5 INCH WIRES WITH THE REAR SUSPENSION HAVING THE TELESCOPIC DAMPER ARRANGEMENT,SEEMS TO HOLD THE ROAD OK BUT HAVN'T TRIED IT IN THE WET YET!!!

REGARDS BABS