TR2 Carburettor - or not?

I have been sorting through some old carbs and now have doubts that a spare pair of H4 SUs I have stored for years are actually from a TR. The casting number is AUC 6020. I think they might be from a Healey 100 because they appear to be "opposite handed" - i.e. for mounting on the near side of the engine. Does anyone know what number is on the TR2 H4 carb?

Before I realised there might be a problem, I consulted carburettor guru Andrew Turner in general terms regarding their refurbishment. Before I go back and pester him again I would like to know whether anyone else has a TR2 with this casting number. I trawled the web and found another carburettor overhaul site that showed carbs like mine for sale - apparently for TR2. The choke linkage did not look the same as the exploded diagram in the parts manual so I have my doubts that the basic castings are actually completely interchangable. Not sure if cobbling up something that will do is exactly the right way to go.

Nick

Edited by Nick Webster

Thanks for this info. Both valid answers but perhaps I was not clear. The 6020 is on the main body of the carburettor and I think is the generic type. Reassuring that at least someone else has this number on a TR. I guess the 721 number came from the little aluminium tag on the float chamber? I think this is the combination of parts that reflects the actual spec and identifies the carburettor build to an actual car model.

My question should be what four digit numbers prefixed "AUC" are to be found on the body of a TR2 H4?

Nick,

According to the Burlen Fuels reference catalogue H4 AUC 721 is the carb spec number for the TR2 and AUC 6020 is the correct casting number for the actual carb body.

They note that this same body also fits the MG TF, MGA, TR2, Healey, etc - see copy of page below.

TR2carbbody.jpg

Thus it seems that your carbs are correct for the TR2.

Regards, Richard ;)

Nick,

I have just re-read your original post and realise that the carbs you have are for the opposite side of the engine to that of a TR2.

I think that the MG's have the carbs on the offside, so they could well be off a Healey.

Have they still got the small aluminium tags attached to the float chamber as these give the spec I.D. which can be related to car make and model.

Regards, Richard ;)

Nick,

I have just re-read your original post and realise that the carbs you have are for the opposite side of the engine to that of a TR2.

I think that the MG's have the carbs on the offside, so they could well be off a Healey.

Have they still got the small aluminium tags attached to the float chamber as these give the spec I.D. which can be related to car make and model.

Regards, Richard ;)

Thanks for the really useful illustrations. The aluminium tag reads AUC 818. There's no vent pipe either, just an aluminium shroud that presumably keeps dirt out. They have an engraved number on the plinth along side the casting number. One is 6031, the other 6033. I have been unable to find information matching these numbers. Another thing is the float chamber sits horizontal with the carb - not angled to account for the angle of the manifold. However if I do go ahead and manage to make up a not too bastardised pair, I can use the chambers from a spare pair of H6 which is the same number in the TR parts book.

Nick

I'm answering my own question now, having gained accumulated knowledge and thanks to the really patient and knowledgeable Andrew Turner who I decided to pester again. It turns out the carburetters I have been carefully storing for the past 30+ years are actually off an Austin A105 saloon. Oh the shame! It could have been a Healey 100/6 but for the needles, so perhaps there is a market for them? Or with reference to AlanR's post - I wonder how many people actually supercharge the A series engine in this day and age?

Anyway, it appears that once the basic casting (6020) has been machined according to it's ultimate use, conversion to another car's spec is usually near impossible. Something to watch out for I should say if you do not know the exact origin of a carburetter. So it is back to the drawing board for me and my carburetter rebuild plans.

Nick