Tach and Speedo Question

These two photos show the housings of my tach and speedo. The tach housing has two tubular lamp holders which extend beyond the surface of the housing. These hold the 2 lamps which provide back lighting. My speedo has only one of these tubular lamp holders, used for the high beam indicator. There are no "tubes" for the back lighting. Are these missing or should the bulb sockets plug directly into the speedo housing?

These two photos show the housings of my tach and speedo. The tach housing has two tubular lamp holders which extend beyond the surface of the housing. These hold the 2 lamps which provide back lighting. My speedo has only one of these tubular lamp holders, used for the high beam indicator. There are no "tubes" for the back lighting. Are these missing or should the bulb sockets plug directly into the speedo housing?

Frank, that looks like a standard TR3 and probably TR4 speedo to me. The TR6 dial illumination also goes straight into the body of the tach/speedo with only the ign/oil/beam/indicator lamps having little pedestals.

Stan

Hi Frank,

The back of the speedo only has one hole in the housing at the top for a night illumination globe. This globe goes into a holder with tiny gripper fingers that lock into the hole in the housing. The feed wire to this holder is red and white.

You only get the one night lamp flooding down from the top, and that's all that's needed, seeing it lights the arc where the speedo needle mostly sits.

The globe for the high beam indicator at the bottom of the speedo has a different holder so the two globes can't be accidently transposed.

regards,

Viv.

Hi Frank

I would suggest that your speedometer is correct for a TR3 and has two panel light sockets as shown within the main cast body.

The Rev Counter IMHO is from a TR4 or TR4A, the cast bodies changed for both the Speedo & Rev counter on the TR4, necessatating the change from a single retaining bracket to two individual retaining brackets, (each sliding down the side of the gauge).

There is no problem in using a later gauge as the Rev counter drive ratio is common to both cars.

I hope the above is useful?

Kind regards

Andrew