Gearbox cover interlock mechanism

In the endeavour of assembling the selector mechanism in the cover of my TS 61XXX gearbox, I am stuck with the interlock balls and plunger between the shafts.

The problem is where the orifice to insert those parts is. I have removed the two welch plugs at both sides, but this is not the right hole.

The cover has a flat spot which seems to be some sort of aluminium plug, right where the interlock mechanism channel is. I have drilled a hole trying to pry it off the cover, but unsuccessfully

Is this a really plug? Is it necessary to be removed? How can I do it?

I attach a photo to illustrate.

Thank you for your help.

Jesus

Dear Jesus,

It is about 45 years since I modified the top cover of the TR2 which I had then, so that I could have overdrive operating on 2,3 & 4. So, I cannot remember too much about the process! However, I have scanned the relevant pages from my TR4 and TR2/3 Workshop Manuals, and have e-mailed them direct to you (we have corresponded before). I hope these will answer your questions. I think the answer lies in the use of some heavy (viscous) grease to retain the balls in postion whilst you re-assemble the parts.

Best of luck,

Ian Cornish

Hi Jesus, Ian,

I recently changed my selector forks and had the same problem and used thick grease to hold the various parts in place, so you are right about this approach. It certainly works. I even managed to do it without the customary cussing! ;)

TT

Dear Jesus,

It is about 45 years since I modified the top cover of the TR2 which I had then, so that I could have overdrive operating on 2,3 & 4. So, I cannot remember too much about the process! However, I have scanned the relevant pages from my TR4 and TR2/3 Workshop Manuals, and have e-mailed them direct to you (we have corresponded before). I hope these will answer your questions. I think the answer lies in the use of some heavy (viscous) grease to retain the balls in postion whilst you re-assemble the parts.

Best of luck,

Ian Cornish

Thank to all for reading my post and Ian and TT for the inputs.

Before dismantling the gearbox, I gathered a wealth of information on the TR gearboxes. However, in no place I found explicitly across where the interlock ball should be introduced in their channels.

Really this is a very silly question, so simple that probably does not to be addressed in the manuals. I arrived by myself to the obvious answer: across the shaft channel openings at the back of the cover. Unfortunately, before this enlightenment, I drilled an unnecessary hole in the side of the cover.

Now I have already managed to successfully assemble the mechanisms in the box cover, and the additional hole is plugged again.

And yes, the heavy grease trick is a must for keeping those tiny parts in their right place.

Jesus