Leaking petrol tank

Hi guys

I have good evidence that my tank is leaking, (strong smell of petrol in cockpit, and paintwork bubbling and soft under carpet near base of tank). I haven't dismantled anything yet but any thoughts on replacement unit - steel or aluminium, or is repairing an option?

Regards

Hi guys

I have good evidence that my tank is leaking, (strong smell of petrol in cockpit, and paintwork bubbling and soft under carpet near base of tank). I haven't dismantled anything yet but any thoughts on replacement unit - steel or aluminium, or is repairing an option?

Regards

Hi

Not nice, i replaced my tank with an aluminium one due to rust in the tank, blocking fuel lines. Advantage of an ally tank , it doesnt rust, so no more blocked filters.

I dare say i could have cleaned the original up and are aware that others have successfuly done so.

Firstly though i would check all the fuel lines to and from the tank, in particular state of the hosing and its connections, two at the top and the pressure relief valve on the lower left on tank. Also check the filler cap is secure into the rubber neck.

If you take off the rear cocpit panelling all should be revealed.

Good luck

Cheers

Guy

Hi

If you end up welding your tank, I have a proven way of preparing the tank for welding:

In the tank you will have residue petrol and oxygen. All you need to convert your tank into a globe, is a little spark. Many try to remove the residue petrol by flushing the tank with water. In my opinion - a very uncertain method as water is not very good in getting into the tiniest crevice - where the petrol is!! My suggestion is as follows:

Remove the tank from your car and remove/open all connections. TAKE CARE - ANY SPARK MAY IGNITE THE FUEL/AIR MIXTURE IN YOUR TANK AT THIS STAGE!! Insert the filler opening onto a second cars exhaust pipe which has been running for some time - directly or via a hose ( exhaust must be warm!). Inject the exhaust for appr. 5 min. Close all openings afterwards with tape. The exhaust will inert the tank ie. remove all oxygen. Secondly the heat from the exhaust will evaporate all residue petrol!!

Cheers

Hal

Hi Bren,

Lucky you found out in time! The undercarpet will have soaked up a lot of petrol and made the car into a bomb waiting to go off.

There's probably is a pinhole in the bottom and when you take the tank out you'll find more rusty very thin areas cause of corrosion. I had the same problem a few years ago while touring the south of England; thought I had overfilled the tank and only found out a leak had been saturating the undercarpet and petrol was dripping out, just missing the exhaustpipe, at the Channel terminal in Folkestone. I've never seen a towtruck show up so fast!

I did a provisional fibreglass repair but had a SS tank made by a friend, which will last longer than the car! Because it was made with square angles it contains some 8 liters exra as a bonus :rolleyes: .

Regards,

Tim

I personally would go for a good steel tank. Some aluminium tanks are of very doubtfull quality. If the tank is not properly supported it will " HANG " in it's brackets. In general the tank material is rather thin and so proper welding is critical. I have seen one case where a side bracket broke off and fractured the tank with nasty flooding consequences. If you go for aluminium make sure the tank's side walls are well reinforced around the brackets. I' m not against aluminium, as I got an 60ltr aluminium tank in my 3A, but this one is held by retaining straps and cracks are less probable ;)