Re-chroming bumpers for TR6

Hello fellas

As part of my winter works list I planned to re-chromed both bumpers on my 1973 TR6 but have hit a snag.

No probs with the rear but when it came to the front on removal it has the hallmarks of a repro and my re-chromers can't do it in any case due to difficulties with the huge mounting boxes welded to them (the box draws the current from the blade at the joint and causes a patch of thin or non existent chrome). So it is beyond them.

Rather than re-invest in a repro and since I'm generally keen to stay with originals where possible (and sensible) I thought I might look for an original front bumper for a '73 6 that's had a high quality re-chrome and is for sale.

Any guidance very welcomed!

Thanks

Giles.

Hi Giles

Judging by the lack of replies not many of us are chrome experts, neither am I but I did have my front bumper rechromed during my restoration. I do not understand 'huge mounting boxes' , I think mine was original and it had the large mountings yet the rechroming went well. I would try another plating company, if you post your location I am sure someone will recommend a good chrome plater in your area.

Cheers

Bill

Hi Giles,

as you have found out chroming bumpers, or anything with bends, twists, grooves etc, is not always straight forward. However many bumpers have been re-chromed over the years. Thus as Bill said hunt around for a different metal finisher.

If you have a repro bumper already it may not make financial sense to get it re-chromed.

Look in the TRaction for sale section, and at the International in July + all the shows up to then (stoneleigh etc).

Part of the problem with chroming, as you have found, is that during the plating process the flow of metal onto the bumper is regulated partly by the distance of the bumper from the sacraficial chrome lump. If there are any large masses near the path of particle flow they tend to migrate to these larger areas.

This can be seen on new items - 4A rear overriders around the number plate lamp hole, this is often poorly plated as the particle flow doesn't like holes either.

Roger

Not sure about the huge mounting boxes & wasn't even aware this is a problem when chroming, are repro’s different to OE’s then, strange if they are? Had all my original bumpers re-chromed without any problems at all so I would suggest you find another plating company. There are many archive posts on chroming with personal recommendations of companies in different areas so may pay you to have a search.

Edited by Richard Crawley
Not sure about the huge mounting boxes & wasn't even aware this is a problem when chroming, are repro’s different to OE’s then, strange if they are?

I assume the problem with repro TR6 bumpers is the quality of steel which makes them a waste of money as far as rechroming is concerned - it won't last. That's certainly the case with bumpers and overriders on sidescreen TRs.

Hello fellas

As part of my winter works list I planned to re-chromed both bumpers on my 1973 TR6 but have hit a snag.

No probs with the rear but when it came to the front on removal it has the hallmarks of a repro and my re-chromers can't do it in any case due to difficulties with the huge mounting boxes welded to them (the box draws the current from the blade at the joint and causes a patch of thin or non existent chrome). So it is beyond them.

Rather than re-invest in a repro and since I'm generally keen to stay with originals where possible (and sensible) I thought I might look for an original front bumper for a '73 6 that's had a high quality re-chrome and is for sale.

Any guidance very welcomed!

Thanks

Giles.

Hi, I had my original 6 bumpers rechomed by Ray Hodge at Chromeworld. Excellent job, tripple plating too and very reasonable. I'd give him a ring on 07704731814 and discuss the problem your having. He's down in Grays Essex. regards Rich

Hi, I had my original 6 bumpers rechomed by Ray Hodge at Chromeworld. Excellent job, tripple plating too and very reasonable. I'd give him a ring on 07704731814 and discuss the problem your having. He's down in Grays Essex. regards Rich

I also used Ray Hodge at Chromeworld for a number of my TR6 rechroming work ( valve covers, stromberg top cover, boot rack, oil stick, etc.) I have to say his work is first rate and I was always please with is work. I was at his shop and the showed me some of is other rechroming work. I was quite impressed with the quality of all various auto parts he rechromed ( for some strange reason he rechromes non TR parts!!)

I'd give him a call for any rechrome job you have. I don't think youll be disappointed, I wasn't!

Regards

Tracer_51