HS Carbs and Rads

I saw a souped up TR5 the other day and it had a very pretty aluminum radiator. I am told these go for £500 or so. Does any one know of suppliers (and possibly cheaper ones?) that will fit a 4A, or do they even make them for a 4A?

Second question is carbs. Mine are nearing rebuild time. Is it cheaper to get a new rebuild on exchange, or just send my own out and wait? Assuming it's a "standard" rebuild what can I look at spending? If I want to get the "pots" polished is this extra? Or part of the service?

Many thanks.

I saw a souped up TR5 the other day and it had a very pretty aluminum radiator. I am told these go for £500 or so. Does any one know of suppliers (and possibly cheaper ones?) that will fit a 4A, or do they even make them for a 4A?

Second question is carbs. Mine are nearing rebuild time. Is it cheaper to get a new rebuild on exchange, or just send my own out and wait? Assuming it's a "standard" rebuild what can I look at spending? If I want to get the "pots" polished is this extra? Or part of the service?

Many thanks.

I think this set of carbs would do you nicely and probably cheaper than a refurb.

SU carbs for TR4a on ebay

Stuart.

I have bought a set of carbs from this ebay seller, and I have had my TR4a carbs refurbed by him. I was pleased with the results of both. The seller, Andrew Turner, goes to a lot of the car shows, indeed I picked up my refurbed carbs at the TR Register International last year. Worth giving him a call on 01572 767665 - usual disclaimers.

Rod

The ebay ones look very nice and a reasonable price.

To get a quote on rebuilding yours you can also try Burlen Fuel Systems. Website below

http://www.sucarb.co.uk/

Edited by 4Mal

Many thanks.

Many good professionals rebuild SU's. Burlen in the UK, SU-Midel downunder, Joe Curto in the states, and there's a Brit in Hamburg, Germany. Can't recall his name. Guess he fell from a RAF plane and stayed there.....Just Google "SU carb rebuild".

If you have a six cyl., the triple HIF44 combo is great. For a 4, 4A you want the long 4A manifold and the short bodied HS6, unless you want a go at HS8 (yummy).

True hardliners rebuild their own. Grab the Haynes manual and Kas Kastner's books, surf Paul Tegler's site and ask ol'Badfrog for right references and piston tuning. It's a real pleasure to do, and can last a full year as you go from surprise to surprise........ ;)

SU .... the word has a certain woody quality ....... :wacko:

Alloy radiator for TR4A available from Moss (307309AL) and Revington (RTR5251) - probably from others as well. I think you can get them with a built-on electric, sucker, fan (i.e. fan on engine side of radiator).

Ian Cornish