TR3A Distributor Problems

Has anyone else had issues trying to adjust the point gap in their TR2 - 4? I have noticed that the heal of the points only seems to touch the cam at the botton, i.e. it doesn't appear to be square to the cam. In order to achieve the correct points gap I have to have them adjusted to the maximum adjustment available. In fact when I was over in Ireland last year I had to file the screw hole in the points in order to achieve the correct gap.

The main shaft doesn't seem to have much play in it, but I have noticed that the base plate wobbles slightly, which alters the gap. The vacuum advance pulls the plate over slightly.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Has anyone else had issues trying to adjust the point gap in their TR2 - 4? I have noticed that the heal of the points only seems to touch the cam at the botton, i.e. it doesn't appear to be square to the cam. In order to achieve the correct points gap I have to have them adjusted to the maximum adjustment available. In fact when I was over in Ireland last year I had to file the screw hole in the points in order to achieve the correct gap.

The main shaft doesn't seem to have much play in it, but I have noticed that the base plate wobbles slightly, which alters the gap. The vacuum advance pulls the plate over slightly.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Have a look under the base plate and make sure that you havent lost any of the little plastic buttons that it bears on,

Stuart.

Some of the parts sold under the old 'Lucas' brand really are rubbish these days - a well known electrical parts supplier tells me that whoever has the rights to produce the old spec Lucas stuff uses at least 14 different suppliers in the Far East. Sometimes the same part will be sourced from a different supplier with each delivery.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

The Distributor Doctor charges around £150+vat for a TR distributor rebuild - which may vary a very few pounds depending on condition.

The V8 Lady and I spent a happy afternoon at the weekend with Martin Jay, learning the intricate details of distributor overhaul and fine-tuning. I knew a little about dissies from past motor sport involvements, and from having seen an 'ordinary' reconditioning outfit at work many years ago, but I hadn't appreciated just how much more there was to learn.

You have to see Martin's vast stocks of new original parts to believe just how many variations there are. Incredible. As for the number of wear points on a dissie, and what that adds up to in real life . . . quite an education. As for home rebuilding or tweaking . . . . until I can manage Martin's standards of one half thou accuracy, forget it, I'm not wasting my time. The really interesting bit was the individual calibration of each and every rebuild, in many cases to suit a particular engine configuration. I rather doubt anyone else can match that - and looking at the owner's names on some of the dissies, there are some very serious race people using Martin, for all sorts of exotic machinery.

Usual disclaimers, Martin is an old mate from way back when, I'm just boggled at what he's now achieving.

Cheers,

Alec