Hi

I am trying to get as much done indoors whilst the bad weather continues, I recently fitted new wheel cylinders but could not find any procedure in the manuals, my process was as follows-

Fit the new cylinder through the plate

Use the 3 plates to lock in place

Knock in the handbrake actuator

Fit the dust cover

My only concern is that I am getting a bit of movement of the cylinder within the space in the plate, is this normal or have I put it together incorrectly

Ive attched some photos

Keith R

Hi

I am trying to get as much done indoors whilst the bad weather continues, I recently fitted new wheel cylinders but could not find any procedure in the manuals, my process was as follows-

Fit the new cylinder through the plate

Use the 3 plates to lock in place

Knock in the handbrake actuator

Fit the dust cover

My only concern is that I am getting a bit of movement of the cylinder within the space in the plate, is this normal or have I put it together incorrectly

Ive attched some photos

Keith R

Keith: I can't tell from your photos, so take a look at this article. Although it was written with a TR-6 in mind the article points out some errors that were discovered in the publications and appropriate corrections. Should be the same for a TR3, 4, 5 & 6.

Edited by angelfj
Hi

I am trying to get as much done indoors whilst the bad weather continues, I recently fitted new wheel cylinders...My only concern is that I am getting a bit of movement of the cylinder within the space in the plate, is this normal or have I put it together incorrectly

What sort of "movement" are you getting? The cylinder should be free to slide back and forth; in fact, it should be lubricated sparingly (I prefer white lithium grease) so that it does move as needed. This is necessary to proper function of the brakes.

I hope I'm not misunderstanding you. :mellow:

What sort of "movement" are you getting? The cylinder should be free to slide back and forth; in fact, it should be lubricated sparingly (I prefer white lithium grease) so that it does move as needed. This is necessary to proper function of the brakes.

I hope I'm not misunderstanding you. :mellow:

+

The whole cylinder moves within the space in the plate, up and down, which judging by the first response is correct

Thanks

Keith

• 1 month later...
Hi Frank

Any chance you can re send the article on fitting the wheel cylinder again, I cant seem to find it!

Thanks

Keith

Keith: I think this is the one I sent.

Edited by angelfj

I only know about the TR3. The cylinder should move when operated so that both shoes operatd on the drum. The other end of the shoe is fixed and if the cylinder did not slide in the backplate both shoes would not make contact with the drum.

Some replacement shoes are the wrong diameter and will not allow you enough adjustment to give good brakes and free running at the same time. You either have snagging brakes or not enough on the handbrake lever. Reline the ones you have if they are working.

I only know about the TR3. The cylinder should move when operated so that both shoes operatd on the drum. The other end of the shoe is fixed and if the cylinder did not slide in the backplate both shoes would not make contact with the drum.

Some replacement shoes are the wrong diameter and will not allow you enough adjustment to give good brakes and free running at the same time. You either have snagging brakes or not enough on the handbrake lever. Reline the ones you have if they are working.

Thanks for all the help on this

Keith

Hi Frank

Any chance you can re send the article on fitting the wheel cylinder again, I cant seem to find it!

Thanks

Keith

Keith: another suggestion would be for you to visit the following site:

Buckeye Triumphs

This is Buckeye Triumphs, the Vintage Triumph Register affiliate in Ohio, USA. This club has some of the best technical articles. Ohio, the Buckeye State, received its nickname because of the many buckeye trees that once covered its hills and plains. The name itself is of native origin. Because the markings on the nut resembled the eye of a buck (stag), the Indians called it "hetuck" or "buckeye."

Edited by angelfj