Towing a caravan with a TR4

Hello,

A friend is looking for a "hook" (I don't know the English name of this item, sorry !) for his TR4 (rigid axle).

He want to tow a 750 kgs' caravan with his TR4, and this "hook" must be, in my opinion, bolted to the rear chassis legs, and/or to the bumper "fixing" points.

Any experience of this, and do you know where I can find one ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Cheers,

Chris.

Chris

The word in english word for an attelage is Towbar.

I did not think that TR4's were homoglated in France for towing. The Certificate de conformitie I have for mine has a PTAC of 1250 but no secondary poids total roulant meaning that it would not be able to tow a tailor. I would get your friend to check his carte grise before adding a towbar as you know how the insurance companies like any excuse to let you down.

I can let you have a copy of the certificate de conformitie for the TR4 if you would like. If you know anyone with a certificate for a TR3 they cold copy for me that would be great also

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Hi Alan,

wherever you live, it's probably an offence to tow a tailor, no matter how badly fitting the suit . . . although we are talking La Belle France, I guess the odd tailor got towed to an appointment with Madame La Guillotine ? ;):D

Jesting apart, Chris, if I was going to tow a caravan with a TR4, particularly with luggage in the boot as well, I think I'd want to put uprated rear springs on - and uprated shocks all round.

Cheers,

Alec

...if I was going to tow a caravan with a TR4, particularly with luggage in the boot as well, I think I'd want to put uprated rear springs on - and uprated shocks all round.

Might be worth chatting to Chris Sergison about that - he must be the world's leading expert on towing caravans with a live axle TR (concours TR2 in his case).

Thanks Alan, Alec and Brian,

So :

- he need a tow bar, ;) and uprated suspensions,

- but must previously check on his "carte grise" (french equivalent of V5) if he can tow something else than a tailor, who should be richer than me :P ,

- and he must ask to his insurance if he will be fully covered if he tow a caravan with his TR4,

- then I will contact Chris Sergison.

Alan, yes, please send me by PM a copy of your TR4' certificate, I should have one for a TR3 somewhere here and will send you this back.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by Chris59