Fan Wiring need a bright spark

Hi All,

I am replacing my rad with one that has been re cored and also has a switch that screws into the rad itself. I am also updating my old thermostatic kenlowe with a manual overide switch, fan with a pacet fan.

Now my existing system looks like the kenlowe wiring diagram and does not have a relay, so i want to incorporate one, and utilise my manual overdrive switch.

Is the top wiring diagram what i should achieve, but i am not sure what the green or purple wires are from/too.

img018.jpg

Any advise appreciated

Guy

Hi All,

I am replacing my rad with one that has been re cored and also has a switch that screws into the rad itself. I am also updating my old thermostatic kenlowe with a manual overide switch, fan with a pacet fan.

Now my existing system looks like the kenlowe wiring diagram and does not have a relay, so i want to incorporate one, and utilise my manual overdrive switch.

Is the top wiring diagram what i should achieve, but i am not sure what the green or purple wires are from/too.

img018.jpg

Any advise appreciated

Guy

Hi Guy,

Both Purple and Green wires are used to engage the relay. Purple provides power to the relay when the switch is in ON state and Green supplies power to the relay through the thermostat when the switch is in the AUTO state. Where you connect them will depend on when you want the fan to run in each state.

My expectation is that the green wire would be connected to the fused ignition circuit (Existing green wiring - i.e. power supplied through the ignition switch) and in this situation, the fan will only operate when the temperature is higher than the setting. AND only with the ignition switched on.

The purple wire would connect to the fused Battery circuit. (Existing purple wiring) In this formulation, the fan switch ON state will always switch the fan on even if you have the car stopped and parked.

A simpler solution is to connect the purple and green wires together and take them to the battery circuit (or the ignition circuit) The choice will be whether you want the fan only to work with the ignition on or not.

In either case, you will only take a small amount of power to engage the relay so the wiring need not be heavy duty. The brown fused wire goes to directly to the battery circuit (Existing Brown wiring)

TT

The fused wire should go to a permanently live terminal on the fuse box and you could also connect the "to a purple wire" to the same terminal on the fuse box. This will allow you to switch the fan on even if the engine is switched off, i.e. stopped at the roadside close to overheating etc!

The " to a green wire" should be connected to the side of the fuse box that is live only when the engine is running, or to the terminal on the rear of the ignition switch that is live on the first click of the key. This will allow the fan to come on automatically when your thermostat switch calls for power. When you turn the engine off the fan will go off as well. This way it won't come on when you are working on a boiling hot engine that is switched off.

If , however, you do want the fan to remain running when you have just switched a very hot engine off, then connect this wire to the same terminal as the other two wires, the fused and the "to a purple" wire.

(The permutations are endless, but the main fused supply must come from a permanent live to enable the fan to run with the engine switched off, as must the thermostatic switch supply to achieve this)

Edit: I seem to have posted at the same time as Tony, but with the same suggestions!

Edited by Rhodri

Thanks TT and Rhodi,

Thats helped me no end. :rolleyes:

Thanks reckon i can sort that now.

Just got to take out old rad, flush engine and heater. Decide on whether to keep it as a blower or a sucker. Have ordered the fan eliminator bolt

thingy, in case i decide to fit as a sucker.

Decisions decisions

Cheers

Guy

Decide on whether to keep it as a blower or a sucker. Have ordered the fan eliminator bolt

thingy, in case i decide to fit as a sucker.

Electric fans look out of place under a TR bonnet - just my opinion - if you fit it tight to the rad it will work fine as an out-of-sight blower.

Ivor

Electric fans look out of place under a TR bonnet - just my opinion - if you fit it tight to the rad it will work fine as an out-of-sight blower.

Ivor

Hi Guy

I am with Ivor on this one they do spoil the engine bay I have used both type's and the blower work's fine most modern cars are like this

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil and Ivor.

I tend to agree with you, so a blower it is then :rolleyes:

Tar Muchly

Guy

hi guy

i prefer a good sucker, :rolleyes: as you get better performane :rolleyes: as for the look of, you normally got your bonnet down :P

regards pink

hi guy

i prefer a good sucker, :rolleyes: as you get better performane :rolleyes: as for the look of, you normally got your bonnet down :P

regards pink

Hi Pinky,

I have quite a few fans and they are all good suckers ;):lol:

Are we talking the same subject :lol::lol:

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal