Hi All

started fitting the wings on my tr4(pffff!!), have a decent fit on left rear ( 2 days work) and left door.

My question is : can the filler brackets (between front wing and valance) be fitted after fitting the front wing?

Or do they have to be attached to the wing first before fitting the wing to the inner wing?

any advise welcome.

thanks

John.

Hi All

started fitting the wings on my tr4(pffff!!), have a decent fit on left rear ( 2 days work) and left door.

My question is : can the filler brackets (between front wing and valance) be fitted after fitting the front wing?

Or do they have to be attached to the wing first before fitting the wing to the inner wing?

any advise welcome.

thanks

John.

I assume you mean the pieces that sit either side of the front grill ends. They should be welded to the wing before fitting. They are difficult to get to sit correctly but if you trial fit the wing then slide them up in behind and locate the centre fixing bolt then tack in place, remove the wing and weld up properly.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
thanks for that, Stuart

It seems a complicated way of doing things to me!

Are they merely to 'fill the gap'?

Is it feasable to make those brackets myself you think?

cheers, John

Your right they are there to fill the gap but essential as they not only stop all the mud coming up and spraying out through the grill but they also keep the wing line correct around the grill. Its not a particularly easy panel to fabricate and as they are available why bother. The repros arent quite right (how completely unusual :lol: ) but with a bit of fettling work fine.Dont forget to seal them into the wing when welded as its another good place to rot! ;)

Stuart.

Interesting revelation this - I noticed last week when I hosed out the wheelarches on Lynda's TR4A that the water was spraying out through these gaps and wondered if something was missing. I can't say I'm too bothered though, as we've not had any noticeable problems with mud spraying out when driving, and as far as I'm concerned it's just another potential mud-trap. I guess the panels weren't available when the front end was rebuilt or the previous owner and his bodyshop didn't know about them. I'm not sure if I would have spent the extra cash and effort myself, although for a concours car they may be essential. It's certainly a bit too late for this car anyway.

Edited by BrianC
Brian

are you saying I might as well not bother with these brackets?

cheers

John.

It depends on what sort of job you want to do and whether you are doing it all yourself or paying for labour. If time and money are not a problem, I'd go with Stuart's advice, buy the Moss repros and make them fit and waxoyl well! (Or get Stuart to fit them :) )

However, not having them, hasn't caused us or the provious owner any problems, but be aware that if you don't fit them, when you come to sell, someone may decide that if you've left these out, then you may have taken shortcuts elsewhere.

Edited by BrianC

I would fit them regardless. They are supposed to be there and its not that much of a performance to fit .

Stuart.