I'm new on here!

Hello All

I'm new on here so hello and I'm also after some help and advice.

I've decided (with a little persuasion from a TR6 owner - thanks Mike) that I would love to have a TR7. I'm a classic mini owner at the moment but having gone to the classic car show at Birmingham on Sat have decided that I also want a TR7 (I'm not greedy!).

What sort of things should I be looking for before I part with my money, are there any particular problems with them, are later models better than the earlier ones (or vice versa)?

All advice gratefully accepted and thanks in anticipation.

Marian

I finally got one - see my posting below.

Edited by MaryMoo

Marian,

The body shell is the most important area when looking for a TR7, the mechanical side can cause problems but not as expensive as the body repairs.

Look on this site and your friends TR Action, plus the TR drivers web site also as a for sale section. Also www.triumphtr7.com worth a look.

Would advise to have a knowledgeable TR7 person with you to look at any prospective purchase / hopefully wait for a good recommend car.

Edited by tr7jim

Hi Marian,

and welcome ! :D

As Jim rightly points out, the body is everything - and that's the inner tub, the bits you can't easily see.

Don't even think about looking for a Wedge without having a knowledgeable Wedge enthusiast alongside you - there are plenty of good sound cars around, and for reasonable money, but far more that are getting beyond economic salvation.

Whereabouts are you ? You perhaps need to make contact with a local group, find some fellow enthusiasts who know their onions. There are always plenty of TR men, and women, willing to assist a newbie and steer him or her away from the pitfalls.

Don't be put off - a decent TR7 is one of the best value sports cars you can buy, probably the best value for money.

Cheers,

Alec

Many thanks for your prompt replies and welcome.

I will certainly have a browse round the for sale sections on the sites you have mentioned and I'm in North London so will have a look and see what local groups are around.

Hopefully no-one will mind if I keep asking questions, I just want to make sure I get the right TR7.

Thanks

Marian

• 3 weeks later...

HI MaryMoo

Best advice was said here

Marian,

The body shell is the most important area when looking for a TR7, the mechanical side can cause problems but not as expensive as the body repairs.

plus the TR drivers web site also as a for sale section. Also www.triumphtr7.com worth a look.

Would advise to have a knowledgeable TR7 person with you to look at any prospective purchase / hopefully wait for a good recommend car.

My car was on the TR drivers club stand at the NEC ( sorry was that a bad word... :rolleyes: )

DSC04148.jpg

DSC04139.jpg

DSC04362.jpg

And the two cars on the TR Register stand

DSC04157.jpg

DSC04156.jpg

you can download my video HERE of the Drivers club stand

I have had two TR7's the first being an every day runner purchased for £1,700

And lasted 5 years before I sold it on, you can find all mechanical things very cheaply but when you start

With the body it can become very expensive to fix

So my advice as well as what you have been told is be careful and concentrate on rust

And spend more money on a good one than scrimp and get one that needs work done

Edited by stevie-a
That's excellent, will look them up now.

Marian

Hi Marian

Welcome to the club and the forum. You would be most welcome in the North London Group (NLG) check out the details on the group site

http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/north-london/

We have quite a 7s 7/8 works rep and even #9 of 18 original RHD convertibles (Howards) but its in bits, went in to have the ashtrays emptied and is now in bits pending a rebuild & Paint :lol: ...........so it would be nice to have a straight clean coupe :blink:

Hope you find a car soon and look forward to seeing you at one of the club meets, le me know and I'll ensure a warm welcome

Thanks again for the welcome and I hope to come along to one of your club meets fairly soon.

Stevie-a, thanks for the pictures of your TR7, I saw it at the NEC (Chris the Chairman of TR register pointed it out to us!) and that's the one that made me go wow- I want one of those! We were standing there for ages hoping the owner would turn up. It's a lovely car I'm jealous!

Marian

• 5 months later...

Well after all this time and having looked at some pretty rotten TR7s, I have a last managed to buy one that is in excellent condition. Only 2 owners, been kept in a garage all it's life, no rust, mechanically good and with a full service history. It came with every invoice, MOT etc and I even have the original bill of sale.

It was an extremely lucky find, a real bargain and I love it.

post-6708-1243296164_thumb.jpg

post-6708-1243296164_thumb.jpg

Edited by MaryMoo

Hi Marian

Very nice looking car.

You will have to bring it along to one of our NLG meetings.

The Waggon and Horses Elstree this Thursday or our regular at the Royal Oak Chiipperfield on June 11th.

As North London Mike posted earlier we currently have a works rally V8 replica, No 9 of 18 genuine UK TR8, a newly aquired yellow peril TR7 sprint coupe and I am working on a convertible for my daughters 21st birthday thiis year so we have lots of experience to help you if you need it and we are a very friendly crowd.

Regards

Lee

• 4 weeks later...