Overdrive Problems

Can someone please give me some advice? The overdrive on my 1969 PI has just stopped working with no warning. I have checked the switch on the stearing column but that appears to be okay. Any suggestions on what to do next and how to test each element.

Thanks Ade

Ade, you checked the switch how ?. Have you verified that the solenoid is getting power ?. Normally you can hear it click in and out. Ditto the relay on your A type OD. Hopefully this is a simple electrical problem.

Stan

The overdrive relay gets a hard life if you use the overdrive as often as me. I've had to replace the overdrive relay twice in 20,000 miles - the contacts burn and fail to make a decent connection.

The solenoid has two coils: one to operate (high current), the other to hold-in (low current). The contact, which removes power from the pull-in (operate) coil as the plunger rises, can fail - this leaves the hold-in coil to try and operate (pull-in) the plunger, and it may not be able to do so (it wasn't designed for that!).

That said, you need to check each item in the circuit: manual switch, isolating switches (on top of gearbox cover), relay and overdrive solenoid. The circuit is shown in the Workshop Manual. It's unlikely that the wiring on the isolating switches has failed (safely tucked away), but you may have inadvertently disconnected the wires at the connectors on top of the gearbox cover.

Ian Cornish

Hi Ade,

do the things as previously descibed. However as O/D is usually run in 4th try the following -

Ignition ON, engine OFF, select 2nd gear, select o/d - did the solenoid give an aduible click Yes/No

Ignition ON, engine OFF, select 3rd gear, select o/d - did the solenoid give an aduible click Yes/No

Ignition ON, engine OFF, select 4th gear, select o/d - did the solenoid give an aduible click Yes/No

If you got a yes from ANY of the above then the solenoid is OK but the isolation switch on the g/b is duff

If you got No for ALL of them then back to switch, relay, solenoid etc.

Roger

If it does the clicky bit it then I would check that the operating arm has not moved on the shaft....there is a hole in the arm that you put an appropriate drill in to register in the O/D casing to set the thing up...the arm is only clamped by a bolt and can slip. Any O/D section in any manual will tell you how to set. The setting is Laycock specific not TR.

Is there enough oil in it? Whislt it is filled from the gear box and leaks from the O/D cannot be replenished by the gearbox.

Regards Dick.