TR250 returns from america

Yes folks, on taking the car to bits, found the front end WAS the genuine article CD1762. In British racing green.

now it depends if your glassis half full or half empty, the rear section is from another 250 originally white in colour.

I wasnt sure if it was from a 4A, but it has the correct holes for the reversing lights and the B post is of the latter type.

it was spliced around the jacking point holes, must have been a half decent job for the door gap on the N/Side was great.

Oddly no chassis damage has been found (accident that is) but chassis badly rusted around the mounting points for the rear swinging arms, and from within.

Not sure what to do about the chassis CTM are the only people that actually make them, but for an estimate for repair It has to be shotblasted, which costs

and its a long way from Manchester. Might be a good idea to have a new one, unless one of your goodselves has one for sale.

Edited by pfenlon
Yes folks, on taking the car to bits, found the front end WAS the genuine article CD1762. In British racing green.

now it depends if your glassis half full or half empty, the rear section is from another 250 originally white in colour.

I wasnt sure if it was from a 4A, but it has the correct holes for the reversing lights and the B post is of the latter type.

it was spliced around the jacking point holes, must have been a half decent job for the door gap on the N/Side was great.

Oddly no chassis damage has been found (accident that is) but chassis badly rusted around the mounting points for the rear swinging arms, and from within.

Not sure what to do about the chassis CTM are the only people that actually make them, but for an estimate for repair It has to be shotblasted, which costs

and its a long way from Manchester. Might be a good idea to have a new one, unless one of your goodselves has one for sale.

Peter

If the chassis is bad around the centre sections especially under the "T" shirt area and the outriggers along with the usual areas of the tail end and in need of the rear mounts reinforcing. Then unless you are a good welder the cost of having to pay for that lot to be done after blasting can be considerable and at the end of the day its still a repaired unit. Colins new ones come with all the reinforcements done and ready to do a straight swop. Then repair the shell sitting on the new chassis as a jig. He does have about six week lead time on new ones so book early for Christmas! ;)

Stuart.

Stuart

I have the body off now, and the rear suspension, There is quite a bit of surface corrosion all over, and what you can see on the outside must have also

happened from the inside. so it has to be considerably thinner all over, its bite the bullet I think and go for one from Colin at CTM.

I read in The how to repair book, that the chassis should be loaded for the body repair to be carried out.

Surely if its solidly mounted you dont have to fit the engine suspension etc etc, how would you do it?

regards

Peter

ps going to watch top gear now to see if it has reverted back to a car programme and not another episode of the 3 stooges!

its bite the bullet I think and go for one from Colin at CTM.

Peter

ps going to watch top gear now to see if it has reverted back to a car programme and not another episode of the 3 stooges!

Peter

I think that is the right decision. The chassis on my 6 has several patches, the diff mounts have been re-inforced and it is slightly "bent" at the front due to impact damage some years ago (probably while it was in the USA). It looks quite good, and could be straightened, but, you cannot see inside the chassis and after 38 years on the road it could be quite rusty inside. Also, I did not want to have a body off re-build and then find the chassis was kaput five years down the road so I bit the bullet and my new CTM chassis will be ready in early December.

Not sure you made the right decision about Top Gear though :unsure:

Tony

............ its bite the bullet I think and go for one from Colin at CTM.

Hi Peter,

Just as an aside if you do go for a CTM chassis (you won't regret it imho). Colin doesn't remanufacture the front spring turrets so you will have to give him yours on an exchange basis or pay a penalty. so if yours are any good, you could supply them to him up front and get them incorporated into your new chassis and that way you will maintain a link to the original :)

I have found the best way to watch TG these days is on I Player. That way you can skip the buffoonery and focus on the car stuff. Also saves wasting about 45 minutes :D

If any one is having a chassis built and dont want to cut the old one up for the turrets first I will have a spare pair available early next year (January)

Stuart.

Peter

I think that is the right decision. The chassis on my 6 has several patches, the diff mounts have been re-inforced and it is slightly "bent" at the front due to impact damage some years ago (probably while it was in the USA). It looks quite good, and could be straightened, but, you cannot see inside the chassis and after 38 years on the road it could be quite rusty inside. Also, I did not want to have a body off re-build and then find the chassis was kaput five years down the road so I bit the bullet and my new CTM chassis will be ready in early December.

Not sure you made the right decision about Top Gear though :unsure:

Tony

Tony

You were bang on the money, top gear was bloody awful. It does appear that Colin has quite a reputation for quality.

Sadly I have a tight budget, and have been offered a "very good" TR6 chassis by a member, which if it is all it seems, leave enough money to sort out

the bodywork, plus my trusty sealey Mig welder finally died yesterday, so I must look for a replacement, more dosh, if anyone is looking for a very good TR6

body tub at a very good price please get in touch.

Good luck with the chassis change over, why not do an article for the Mag it would be appreciated by those who are going to follow, so to speak.

regards

Peter

Tony

You were bang on the money, top gear was bloody awful. It does appear that Colin has quite a reputation for quality.

Sadly I have a tight budget, and have been offered a "very good" TR6 chassis by a member, which if it is all it seems, leave enough money to sort out

the bodywork, plus my trusty sealey Mig welder finally died yesterday, so I must look for a replacement, more dosh, if anyone is looking for a very good TR6

body tub at a very good price please get in touch.

Good luck with the chassis change over, why not do an article for the Mag it would be appreciated by those who are going to follow, so to speak.

regards

Peter

Peter

I can tell Top Gear is going downhill as my wife now enjoys watching it!

Unfortunately I no-longer have the kit, the skills, or the room to do a full body of restoration on my car so it is being entrusted to a professional. The last car I was re-building was an Alfa Duetto Spider back in 1977. I was using oxy acetylene then. I doubt I could get the bottles now!

I will do a lot of the mechanical work myself though. I have already built one uprated engine for it and am thinking of building another with a bit more oomph!

I do hope to eventually offer TRAction an article. It will probably be entitled somthing like "The road to bancruptcy with a TR6". Whether it will get published is another matter!

Good luck with the 250.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Bald Rick
......I no-longer have the kit, the skills, or the room to do a full body of restoration on my car so it is being entrusted to a professional.

Sadly I now don't have the time to do it, so it's going down to Stuart..................and will come back as a TR10. :lol: That is, part TR4 and TR6! :wacko:

Cheers

Andrew

PS, I wonder why they didn’t call the TR250 the TR5A?

......I no-longer have the kit, the skills, or the room to do a full body of restoration on my car so it is being entrusted to a professional.

Sadly I now don't have the time to do it, so it's going down to Stuart..................and will come back as a TR10. :lol: That is, part TR4 and TR6! :wacko:

Cheers

Andrew

PS, I wonder why they didn’t call the TR250 the TR5A?