Rear Deck, Inner Wing, Forward Panel, etc.

Hi All

Winter maintenance is well under way.... and it may take more than one winter!

Does anyone have any good close up pictures of how this whole area is supposed to piece together?

B Post rear, inner wing, forward panel and rear deck.

It didn't look too bad with the rear wing fitted however, the paint was cracked along the join and I wanted to be sure all was ok. It appears to have been bodged somewhat in the past (story of my life). Areas of filler, couple of patches and towards the rear of the deck it came away with the wing. screws still attached to metal - and I didn't need to tug it.

It would have lasted a little while longer without my intervention I suppose!

Anyway, photo's would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Rob

One thing I have got is loads of pics & I'm more than happy to post them to you; they may be off assistance but, if not, I can probably tell you from memory anyway. Just give me a chance to sort them out, probably tomorrow. You'll get better resolution with attachments so I may PM you.

Certainly sounds like you got serious winter maintaince :)

Just adding my pennies worth. The fuel tank is supported by the rear deck, rear inner wings and floor. Which should give you a guide to the alignment for the inner back.

When I refitted my wings I used joint sealant, unfortunately it cracked a few months later. If I had had more experience I would have tried leading as original. Since i think this wouldn't have cracked as the sealant did. Though someone out there will know better than me if that is true.

Steve

Certainly sounds like you got serious winter maintaince :)

Just adding my pennies worth. The fuel tank is supported by the rear deck, rear inner wings and floor. Which should give you a guide to the alignment for the inner back.

When I refitted my wings I used joint sealant, unfortunately it cracked a few months later. If I had had more experience I would have tried leading as original. Since i think this wouldn't have cracked as the sealant did. Though someone out there will know better than me if that is true.

Steve

Steve, I dont recall that any TR6 fender seams were leaded. When I pulled my body apart I found a few factory tack welds here and there where somebody tried to get things aligned but the outer to inner fender seams were filled with a non setting sealant that pulled apart like chewing gum and I'm pretty sure that was how my 74.5 TR6 was built. I would be interested in hearing of other cases of factory leaded seams.

Perhaps the seams between the forward pieces and the rear deck had something more permanent but they are very short seams and dont flex like the fender seams.

When I reassembled my tub (outer panels painted off the tub) I used 3M black strip sealant and 18 years later it is as supple as it was when I applied it.

Stan

Steve

Stan is correct; the seams were never factory leaded on a 6. The rear ¼ panels were spot welded in place & the outer wings bolted on with a semi-setting sealer. I don’t know what the original was & you will get several different recommendations; I painted the outer wings off the car & used ordinary B&Q black gutter sealant between the seams; still looks perfect after 5 years.

One little trick popular with many restorers (including myself) is to lead load the 2 seams where deck ¼ panels are attached to the rear deck so you may be seing part of a previous resto if you have lead in there. This stops the seams flexing & the paint cracking on the finished car.

Thanks all

I've scraped a lot of the gunk and crud away now which makes things a little clearer. I can now understand how the inner wing is supposed to feed up under the forward panel and the outer wing attaches to the outside. It's obviously rusted in the past so the 'repairer' simply bashed it in a little and applied filler, everything visible was metal and magnetic but what's below the surface is something else.

It's not really serious and I think I can visualise most of what I need to do.

The rear B post panel is rotten at the top (can't get my hand in so small really) and was patched at the bottom, I knew all wasn't well when I had to drill out rivets holding the wing on - they should be bolted.

The inner wing has been patched to the forward panel (roughly) and I would rather do it properly.

Hopefully a photograph is attached, it's not that bad really.

post-2475-1224850350_thumb.jpg

Regards

Rob

post-2475-1224850350_thumb.jpg

Rob if you PM me your email address I will send you some pictures as well and if its any help I have a spare new "B" post back section. The rest is easy to make up.

Stuart.

Rob if you PM me your email address I will send you some pictures as well and if its any help I have a spare new "B" post back section. The rest is easy to make up.

Stuart.

Hi Rob

First of all - sorry I didn't make the last meeting :(

Secondly - good luck with the work. I have extensive pics of when my car had a body-off restoration in the 90s that may help. I have them scanned in to my computer and could send them to you but they are in a programme called Paperport, so I don't know if you will be able to open them. Alternatively you're welcome to come over and look at the original photos.

Phil

Edited by tr6fan
...a photograph is attached, it's not that bad really.

Looks like the lid is really off the (tin-)worm can. Glad you are so optimistic. I well remember discovering all kinds of nasties when I did a similar 'quick' tidy-up on my TR4A many years ago. Hope you've got a nice warm garage and a good welder - good luck.

Thanks Brian although I didn't think it was going to be a quick tidy up, I guessed it may not be pretty.

It's 4 or 5 months till spring, loads of time to sort it. The hardest part is not getting carried away :rolleyes:

Warm garage - does one exist? Good welder - I try my best. Patient, sympathetic wife - far more important! :lol:

Regards

Rob