rev counter

hi gentlemen

guy(jersey royal) and my self need some advise, both of us sent our rev counters to JDO John,

however when they came back they bounced all over the place, during the conversation that followed with john he said it was the best he could do because of the weight of the pointer,

he felt the pointer from the stag could improve it as the mechanism he is using is from the stag. although the stag pointer would not look right in the 6 rev counter dial?

we could also return it and he would put the mechanical mechanism back in and return the 100 it cost

if we did this it would allow us to go to speedy cables,

any thoughts on this

regards pinky

I used Revington, who I think sub to Speedy Cables, first class job. Rev counter needle rock steady & smooth when revving up (or down?). It registers the difference between being in or out of overdrive. Can't vouch for accuaracy though. Took a bit of a time to get it (six months). I would use them again though.

Tony

Pinky, was your rev counter modified to electronic or was it just overhauled ? When I had my rev counter exchanged for an electronic controlled example, from Revingtontr, I had the same problems. As far as I remember, Neil did fit a diode in the wire between the coil and the counter, this solved the problem :)

I have very little knowledge of electricity, but it could be a question of alternate current causing the wavering of the needle ;)

Pinky, was your rev counter modified to electronic or was it just overhauled ? When I had my rev counter exchanged for an electronic controlled example, from Revingtontr, I had the same problems. As far as I remember, Neil did fit a diode in the wire between the coil and the counter, this solved the problem :)

I have very little knowledge of electricity, but it could be a question of alternate current causing the wavering of the needle ;)

hi Jean, hope you are well

we discussed this problem at malvern over a couple of bottles of wine very nice evening

i phoned revington as a result and they did not no what i was talking about

i allso have tried to explain this to john at JDO he responded the same

pink

hi gentlemen

guy(jersey royal) and my self need some advise, both of us sent our rev counters to JDO John,

however when they came back they bounced all over the place, during the conversation that followed with john he said it was the best he could do because of the weight of the pointer,

he felt the pointer from the stag could improve it as the mechanism he is using is from the stag. although the stag pointer would not look right in the 6 rev counter dial?

we could also return it and he would put the mechanical mechanism back in and return the 100 it cost

if we did this it would allow us to go to speedy cables,

any thoughts on this

regards pinky

Hi All,

Does anyone have a picy of a stag rev counter needle?

Tar Muchly

Guy

Hi All,

Does anyone have a picy of a stag rev counter needle?

Tar Muchly

Guy

Hello Guy/ Pinky

I am no auto sparky but it does not make sense to me to use a 8cyl tacho with a 6 cyl engine 123 or not but willing to learn

;)

Neil

Hello Guy/ Pinky

I am no auto sparky but it does not make sense to me to use a 8cyl tacho with a 6 cyl engine 123 or not but willing to learn

;)

Neil

Neil

I asked the question heres the reply,recieved late last night, which seems to make sense

Hello Guy... I mentioned Stag to your friend because it is of course a Triumph...I use any RVC movement in fact

the most popular is from the XJ6 which is of course a 6 cylinder... however RVC movements can be calibrated from

2 cylinder (for a 4 cylinder wasted spark system) > 12 cylinder which makes them ideal for use in upgrades

the only problem is with 5" dia TR's & E-type Jags which also have a heavy needle... if you want me to fit a

lighter needle which will work fine please return the unit (as your friend is going to do) I will pay the p&p from

this end

So thats what i will do.

Guy

Neil

I asked the question heres the reply,recieved late last night, which seems to make sense

Hello Guy... I mentioned Stag to your friend because it is of course a Triumph...I use any RVC movement in fact

the most popular is from the XJ6 which is of course a 6 cylinder... however RVC movements can be calibrated from

2 cylinder (for a 4 cylinder wasted spark system) > 12 cylinder which makes them ideal for use in upgrades

the only problem is with 5" dia TR's & E-type Jags which also have a heavy needle... if you want me to fit a

lighter needle which will work fine please return the unit (as your friend is going to do) I will pay the p&p from

this end

So thats what i will do.

Guy

Good info Guy

If that is the case would it not look better with a counter weight painted black so you keep the original look you could experiment with some blue tack first just to see if it would work just an idea

Regards

Neil

Good info Guy

If that is the case would it not look better with a counter weight painted black so you keep the original look you could experiment with some blue tack first just to see if it would work just an idea

Regards

Neil

Interesting idea Neil,

However i havent got the patience to play around with it, i would end up braking it.

Well if the new needle does look out of place comparing it to the speedo, i could have the speedo changed to same type, the speedo isnt that accurate asit is, that comparing it to sat nav.

Tells me i am doing 70 when in fact its 125 :lol::lol:

We will see.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
Good info Guy

Regards

Neil

that's a great idea neil,

but i think i have cracked it i found an old Disney clock with mickey mouse hands stripped the rev counter

down fitted the light weight mickey mouse hand (minute hand) now everything is working OK and nothing is out of place

also still got the hour hand with Pluto on it for the speedo :rolleyes:

pinky

but i think i have cracked it i found an old Disney clock with mickey mouse hands stripped the rev counter

down fitted the light weight mickey mouse hand (minute hand) now everything is working OK and nothing is out of place

pinky

So does Mickey Mouse weigh less than Pluto :lol::lol::lol::lol::P

pinky

Pinky,

Neil has a point !!

Perhaps you had better ask mickey22a.gif What you need is hands like mine :lol::lol:

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
Pinky,

Neil has a point !!

Perhaps you had better ask mickey22a.gif What you need is hands like mine :lol::lol:

Guy

The needle in the tacho from jdo which has a stag electric mechanism, is the original needle (in order to make it look original) which is heavier than the needle that should be on the inards.

So one would need to slim the needle down to make it lighter.

Mickeys arms look much to chubby. :P:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Any update on this Guy/Pinky

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,

Just to the car for a quick spin round the block to do a few checks on jobs i am doing.

So with regard to the rev counter

Jdo sent the rev counter back on time, he has attached a stag needle, which is actually shorter, he also supplied me with a another needle for my speedo so i could match up the needles should i wish. I have fitted this needle, easy job , put a piece of card under the needle place a fork under needle, making sure its even and carefully leaver up, off with the old and on with the new.

The revised rev counter does indeed have a steady needle on tick over and also acceleration, when i change gear it rises up and then settles to the revs.

In all i am happy with what Jdo have done, although the shorter needle may not suit everyone.

I will post some pictures of both dials in a couple of days, bit busy at present

Cheers

Guy