Hi Everybody

A little help please. After a couple of late night ferry dashes requiring the use of the motorway system, the non dipping TR4 mirror has become a bit of a problem. On country roads you can live without but on motorways full of Xenon powered rep BMWs buzzing you its not safe to 'just ignore them' <_<

A couple of the NLG'ers seem to think late model 4a's had dipping mirrors but the earliest I can find (Moss, Rimmer etc) is TR5. I think maybe their 4a's were converted in the distant past or possibly a late line change as the factory moved from 4a to 5 ?I saw a 4a in the hall at the international with a plastic dipping mirror fitted which would appear to back up the impression that 4a had dipping mirrors ?

My early 4 has a metal mirror frame not the later plastic

Has anybody got a part number, the international car had 'Tp-TR I 165' stamped on the back of it

Question, Will a TR5 mirror fit a 4 (not 4a) screen, holes line up etc. Anybody done it ?

Thanks in advance

Certain Dolomites had a dipping mirror which is slightly larger than that in the TR (but not too large, I have one fitted in 4VC and it's better than the original). The mounting stalk may be longer, but you might be able to swap the mirror onto the TR's stalk. I think the fixing centres for the 2 screws were at the same spacing on the Dolomite's stalk, so one might be able to shorten the stalk.

Ian Cornish

LUCAS made a dipping mirror which is roughly the same size, stalk length etc. as the TR4 fixed one ...... and the base dims are the same so its a straight screw on. 3VC has one of these fitted, plus the 3a mirror on the dash top. You can find these now and again at autojumbles as i believe they were LUCAS accessories, made by Jemka in Birmingham ? made for the job it seems ....

You can also fit the Mk2 Jaguar aluminium dipping mirror (623 pattern ? I think) as used on the works Mini Coopers ...... often seen on ebay, but beware you get the right one with the correct fittings.

I have a stick on Triumph 2000 / TR6 Wingard Mirror on BST82B - its wider than standard but at £2 at Beaulieu a few years ago it couldnt go wrong!

Regards

Tony

LUCAS made a dipping mirror which is roughly the same size, stalk length etc. as the TR4 fixed one ...... and the base dims are the same so its a straight screw on. 3VC has one of these fitted, plus the 3a mirror on the dash top. You can find these now and again at autojumbles as i believe they were LUCAS accessories, made by Jemka in Birmingham ? made for the job it seems ....

You can also fit the Mk2 Jaguar aluminium dipping mirror (623 pattern ? I think) as used on the works Mini Coopers ...... often seen on ebay, but beware you get the right one with the correct fittings.

I have a stick on Triumph 2000 / TR6 Wingard Mirror on BST82B - its wider than standard but at £2 at Beaulieu a few years ago it couldnt go wrong!

Regards

Tony

Thanks Tony & Ian, something to think about as alternatives. Any more solutions out there ?

Thanks Tony & Ian, something to think about as alternatives. Any more solutions out there ?

FWIW

When I had my car resprayed I removed the mirror, and other stuff. When I got the car back it had a black plastic dippable mirror, (the body work guys must have thought they had lost mine and so fitted a replacement they had lying around. I now realise that my dippable mirror is nonstandard, its slightly oversize compared to the black one and made of metal. I assume it is a period aftermarket fitting. Apart from being slightly oversize (handy) its is an exact drop in. Looking at the black plastic 'replacement' it is exactly the same as a Spitfire1500/GT6 etc.

Mike

FWIW

When I had my car resprayed I removed the mirror, and other stuff. When I got the car back it had a black plastic dippable mirror, (the body work guys must have thought they had lost mine and so fitted a replacement they had lying around. I now realise that my dippable mirror is nonstandard, its slightly oversize compared to the black one and made of metal. I assume it is a period aftermarket fitting. Apart from being slightly oversize (handy) its is an exact drop in. Looking at the black plastic 'replacement' it is exactly the same as a Spitfire1500/GT6 etc.

Mike

Thanks Mike

(any more?)