I have a Surrey top with the Ally hard top between the back sextion and windscreen. two questions:-

1. Its covered in black vinyl, is that , was that standard

2. it has a few dents so I want to remove the headlining from it to rectify and if necessary remove vinyl for a proper paint job. How do you get headlining out and then back in.

Any thoughts on removing the vinyl as I guess its stuck on with glue.

Thanks Robin

Gently heat the vinyl to soften the glue and pull it off.The headlining is stuck on the sides then the front and back.Gently heat and pull off.You will find hoops that are clipped in which will need hand pressure to pull up and then out.I have done it a few times and it is not too bad a job to do.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. :blink:

Gently heat the vinyl to soften the glue and pull it off.The headlining is stuck on the sides then the front and back.Gently heat and pull off.You will find hoops that are clipped in which will need hand pressure to pull up and then out.I have done it a few times and it is not too bad a job to do.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. :blink:

Harry

thanks will try....... BTW was the vinyl a 'standard' from Triumph as I've not seen any other so covered.

Harry

thanks will try....... BTW was the vinyl a 'standard' from Triumph as I've not seen any other so covered.

Robin the vinyl covered top is a seventies"mod" usually to cover up unsightly or rusty roofs. Not original. Usually to be found on mk2 or mk3 Cortinas :P

Stuart.

Robin the vinyl covered top is a seventies"mod" usually to cover up unsightly or rusty roofs. Not original. Usually to be found on mk2 or mk3 Cortinas :P

Stuart.

Stuart

I wondered if that was the case. It doesnt look bad and is well enough done to look ex factory. Anyway it needs to come off and I will get a paint job on it. Is body colour the norm or black. BTW my car is Valencia.

Stuart

I wondered if that was the case. It doesnt look bad and is well enough done to look ex factory. Anyway it needs to come off and I will get a paint job on it. Is body colour the norm or black. BTW my car is Valencia.

Body colour is the norm although black or white does look quite good as a contrast depending on the body colour. I have seen a Royal blue 5 with the lid covered in dark blue mohair to match the mohair soft surrey section and I have to say it looked very nice indeed!

Stuart