Recently returned to a sidescreen TR (TR3A, commission TS 65939L) forty years after owning a TR2.

Notice smell of petrol from fuel cap and understand some are vented and some not.

The fibre gasket inside the cap appears brittle and probably isn't doing much - any ideas?

Thanks

Hi millerpj

I assume you are referring to a "flip top" petrol cap rather than a screw down one.When I faced this problem on my TR4 restoration a year or two back the gaskets where unavailable.Might be worth checking with the major suppliers ( listed on the main TR Register website ) that this is still the case.

The trick, TRGB let me in on, was to use a rubber gasket ( for a spin on oil filter ) cut down to size lengthwise and a blob of glue at the join to hold it in.Any flat sided gasket of the right size, to fit the groove in the moulding, would do.

Welcome back to TR motoring.

Bob

Recently returned to a sidescreen TR (TR3A, commission TS 65939L) forty years after owning a TR2.

Notice smell of petrol from fuel cap and understand some are vented and some not.

The fibre gasket inside the cap appears brittle and probably isn't doing much - any ideas?

Thanks

There is no need for a vented cap on sidescreen cars as there is a vent from the top right hand side of the tank that goes down and out through the raised portion of the floor where the tank sits. The fibre washers in the caps are well past their best by now and I dont think they are available, I tend to use a large "O" ring instead. It may be worth checking the condition of the filler hose between the cap and the tank and also the fuel gauge sender gasket because all of these can cause petrol smells if they arent in the best of conditions.

Stuart

After you sort the filler cap gasket, if fuel odours persist, it's often the bottom hose clamp that needs tightening on the filler to tank joiner hose. Because the tank nozzle fits inside this hose, when filling up, fuel can seep down between the nozzle and the hose if the bottom clamp isn't really tight.

On occasions the fuel smell can get really bad in the car, and the usual response is to go looking at the carbie end, whereas t'other end is the culprit.

Regards,

Viv.

After you sort the filler cap gasket, if fuel odours persist, it's often the bottom hose clamp that needs tightening on the filler to tank joiner hose. Because the tank nozzle fits inside this hose, when filling up, fuel can seep down between the nozzle and the hose if the bottom clamp isn't really tight.

On occasions the fuel smell can get really bad in the car, and the usual response is to go looking at the carbie end, whereas t'other end is the culprit.

Regards,

Viv.