Hi all

a quick question: having just put front suspensio and springs, brakes etc back on Tr4 I noticed that one of the rubber bands over the plastic washer on the lower inner wishbone has broken and fallen of!

If it had been the outside one it would be easy to replace but ofcourse it had to be one on the inside. means removing almost the lot to get to it!!

can i cover it with something else or leave it of all together?

some advice welcome.

tx John.

John

Only one " rubber band "...you're lucky I had a duff batch that all fell apart.

Check the others carefully.

I had to rebuild both sides of the suspension...I can't begin to tell you just how happy I was.

The risk in ignoring ? The seals are designed to keep water and general dirt out of the lower wishbone

arm and trunnion and grease in.Slapping extra grease on the outside might "stop the rot " for a short time

but ....eventually water/dirt will find a way in, causing extra wear.There is movement every time the wheel

hits a bump and we all know how smooth and well kept are national road systems is, don't we.

Check the other " rubber bands" ( care there are two sizes of seal 3/8ths for early TR4s and 5/16ths for the later ones

from CT2719 onwards ) and then bite the bullet is my advice for what it is worth.

Bob

Lots of people use a self locking cable tie as used by electricians. It performs better than a rubber band and can easioly be replaced in no time. No need to dismantle and start again just nip down to the trade electrical counter and buy 10.

Richard

Probably not too important in reality, but I would have thought the biggest risk is that it could well cause an MOT failure, knowing how hot they are on tiny splits or loose/missing retaining clips on rubber boots and gaiters on any suspension or steering components. :(

If you decide to dismantle , replace with poly ones. I got mine from Revs I think, but surely available at the other merchants.

John,

This might save the suspension strip down.

I had to replace an lost inner rubber band once and used a plant tie from a nursery. It was rubber for a good water seal, rather than the stiff poly in electrical cable ties, which is not so waterproof.

If you can get them, one end goes in the other and they pull up tight. Spin it so the join is underneath for best water protection.

Regards,

Viv.

John,

This might save the suspension strip down.

I had to replace an lost inner rubber band once and used a plant tie from a nursery. It was rubber for a good water seal, rather than the stiff poly in electrical cable ties, which is not so waterproof.

If you can get them, one end goes in the other and they pull up tight. Spin it so the join is underneath for best water protection.

Regards,

Viv.

Thanks Viv, that sounds like a cheap and cheerful solution!

tx, john

Edited by mandarawessels