HELP URGENTLY NEEDED OR I WONT MAKE MALVERN

After two hours fighting to fit the hose from the water pump to the metal pipe that goes to the heater.I GIVE UP.The hose I have ben sold from S&S is straight and nothing I do will make it fit without kinking to restrict the flow.I assume this should be a moulded hose as the two fittings are not in line vertically and also on a curve.

Somebody must have encountered this and come up with a solution

Hi Tom.

Hope I can help with your dilema,as I had a dolly sprint for 11yrs and the pipe is exactly the same!!

the heater pipe runs under the carbs and has 2 mounting points,these will,should allow for a little flex in the position of the metal pipe in relation to the pump outlet! ,if you loosen them off,or disconnect them then connect the hose. Then refit the mounts!! it could be that the metal pipe is mounted at the wrong points thus making it too close to the pump outlet!! either reposition it,or, as an emergency measure you can leave the metal pipe disconnected from its mounts,and secure it with a cable tie pro-tem! At least that will get you to Malvern!!

Come see me in Avon hall when you get there!! will be there sat/sun

Good luck Dave

After two hours fighting to fit the hose from the water pump to the metal pipe that goes to the heater.I GIVE UP.The hose I have ben sold from S&S is straight and nothing I do will make it fit without kinking to restrict the flow.I assume this should be a moulded hose as the two fittings are not in line vertically and also on a curve.

Somebody must have encountered this and come up with a solution

Edited by PILKIE
Hi Tom.

Hope I can help with your dilema,as I had a dolly sprint for 11yrs and the pipe is exactly the same!!

the heater pipe runs under the carbs and has 2 mounting points,these will,should allow for a little flex in the position of the metal pipe in relation to the pump outlet! ,if you loosen them off,or disconnect them then connect the hose. Then refit the mounts!! it could be that the metal pipe is mounted at the wrong points thus making it too close to the pump outlet!! either reposition it,or, as an emergency measure you can leave the metal pipe disconnected from its mounts,and secure it with a cable tie pro-tem! At least that will get you to Malvern!!

Come see me in Avon hall when you get there!! will be there sat/sun

Good luck Dave

The metal pipe is fastened to the manifold with a rigid fit pipe and olive.getting the pipe to fit then fitting the manifold with 3 o rings it just wont fit. I will look to see if I can realighn the pipe,but it must have been a moulded hose originally.

Just had a look at rimmers blow up parts pic! i see what you mean! Its been 7 yrs since I sold the sprint,either it was different or I didnt remember right!

it does show a slightly bent hose on the parts pic! I am sure you will be able to bend the pipe enough for it to fit!

Maybe a previous owner had a problem and bent it to fit it.

Slide the hosepipe onto the metal tube,loosely fit to the manifold,slide hose onto water pump outlet and jiggle,persuade it till it fits!!

You could pop down to your motor factors with some measurements and see if they have a hose to do the job!!

Hi Tom,

If it kinks and restricts the flow, it's not the end of the world - heater isn't a necessity. Heated, pressurised water will tend to unkink the pipe in use anyway . . .

One solution can be a to bend a length of plumbing copper pipe (size to just fit in hose) to appropriate curve, cut to size, with a length of hose connecting each end. That's often th only way if you can't get a moulded hose.

Cheers

Alec

Please be very carefull if you go the copper plumbing pipe route, one of our local members was very seriously scalded last year when a copper to rubber pipe connection failed ( all be it under the dash on his TR4). When using copper pipe the ends should if possible be swaged or at the very least take a rough file to the mounting area to make a better connecting surface.

Have you spoken to S&S from my experience they are very willing to help / offer assistance.

Cheers

Ian

You could pop down to your motor factors with some measurements and see if they have a hose to do the job!!
Citroen zsarsa heater hose right size very easily woked and there are 3 sections on the hose with the right curve.

Job done

Thanks

Tom

Good to hear Tom!!

Its good to have a helpful local motorfactor!

They can get us out of trouble quickly and sometimes quite cheaply as well!!!

Dave

When I had that pipe pin hole, on a 4 day trip, I removed, & discarded the pipe. I then bought a length of heater hose which I ran from the heater outlet, to the water pump.

I then split a 3" length, of the same hose, fitted it around the hose, & zip tied it in place, where I thought the main hose was likely to chafe on something.

I can't remember what it was likely to chafe on, as that was 5 years & 40,000 Km ago, so it will do for your weekend, if nothing else works.

Just make sure it's a reasonably solid lump of hose, as it is going to a suction point on the pump. It is qiute important this hose works, as it transfers the hot water from the rear of your head. Without this the head will develop local hot spots. I saw this demonstrated when a bloke fitted an on/off cock, between the head, & the heater, & promptly destroyed his head.