Nerdy Question about Heater Boxes

Hello

I am in the process of re-furbishing the heater box on my TR4. Everything's dismantled and it's about to go to the powder coaters. On the side is the Smiths logo etc painted on. The parts book seems to show that the Smith logo etc was on a plate that was stuck/riveted on. Before I blast off the painted logo and regret it, can someone let me know whether these boxes orginally came with painted or stuck on Smiths logos?

Thanks

Myles

Myles

The Triumph Motor Company Ltd Spare Parts Catologue shows plates on the side of the heater and the usual suppliers sell metal reproduction plates.

My late TR4 came with two stuck on labels, one the Smiths code FHR 3494/04 the other a Caution notice re draining the unit.

Sticky labels.....a cost cutting exercise by Smiths at some stage ?

Not sure if this helps or confuses.

Bob

Hi Myles,

A plate label seems to have been usual for Smiths heaters until the early 60s. I've seen various heaters from the mid-60s onwards that have had either plates or sprayed-on (as opposed to stick-on) labels. Possibly something to do with industrial action interrupting the supply of name plates ? That's only a guess, in so much as there doesn't seem to have been any consistency, although painted labels seem much less common.

Cheers,

Alec

Hello

I am in the process of re-furbishing the heater box on my TR4. Everything's dismantled and it's

about to go to the powder coaters. On the side is the Smiths logo etc painted on. The parts book

seems to show that the Smith logo etc was on a plate that was stuck/riveted on. Before I blast off

the painted logo and regret it, can someone let me know whether these boxes orginally came with

painted or stuck on Smiths logos?

Hi Myles,

If the logo is painted on now, then almost certainly that's the original.

I noticed this item on eBay today :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=003

Could be of interest but you're a real stickler for originality, i.e. declining a plate on

the grounds that the original was a sticker (that would be setting new 'standards') then

you'll have to mask off the label when you blast off the paint and talk very very nicely

to the powder coaters.

AlanR

Could be of interest but you're a real stickler for originality, i.e. declining a plate on

the grounds that the original was a sticker (that would be setting new 'standards') then

you'll have to mask off the label when you blast off the paint and talk very very nicely

to the powder coaters.

AlanR

If a restoration is about originality, can powder coating be accepted and a plate (original as it seems to most TR4-TR4A's) be rejected?

I wonder what judges think of powder coated chassis and suspension parts?

If a restoration is about originality, can powder coating be accepted and a plate

(original as it seems to most TR4-TR4A's) be rejected?

I wonder what judges think of powder coated chassis and suspension parts?

I don't think the judges go quite that far - yet?

But yes, there are many anomalies with what is marked up and what is

marked down in concours, not just our own concours but throughout the

classic car scene.

AlanR

Thanks for all the info. Good point about the originality of powder coating. I'm not trying to build a concours car just one which is reliable and will not rust. I do however like to keep the car as original as possible where I'm not making any upgrades. Keeping the painted on info looks to be a step too far since a plate could also be considered original so looks like it will be coming off and replaced with new shiny powder coat...

Thanks

Myles

Hello

I am in the process of re-furbishing the heater box on my TR4. Everything's dismantled and it's about to go to the powder coaters. On the side is the Smiths logo etc painted on. The parts book seems to show that the Smith logo etc was on a plate that was stuck/riveted on. Before I blast off the painted logo and regret it, can someone let me know whether these boxes orginally came with painted or stuck on Smiths logos?

Thanks

Myles

Hello

I re furbed my heater box in my 4A,and I think they are the same as the 4.The logos on the side of my heater were transfers,as I remember,they were not badges that were stuck on,one point I would make is make sure all the sponge sealers go back on the flap as it wont work nearly as efficiently as I found out .I hope this helps

Driver