TR4A - 6 Centre Console retrim

Hi All,

My turn to (once again) clutch at straws !

I want to recover / retrim the centre console on my late 4A. I even bought a very good one, dirt cheap from e-bay, only to find that the right hand foot is mising ! - B****cks !

I have yet to be impressed by ones I've seen which have been recovered with leather cloth complete with stitching.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions as to how to successfully retrim these please ?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Dave Seer
Hi All,

My turn to (once again) clutch at straws !

I want to recover / retrim the centre console on my late 4A. I even bought a very good one, dirt cheap from e-bay, only to find that the right hand foot is mising ! - B****cks !

I have yet to be impressed by ones I've seen which have been recovered with leather cloth complete with stitching.

Does anyone have any experiene or sugections as to how to successfully retrim these please ?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, I assume you mean the dash support H ?. That looks non-trivial to me.. Mine is looking like the dog chewed it and I'm just going to get a replacement that is already covered rather than tackle it myself.

http://www.zeni.net/trf/TR6-250GC/index.ph...=D&page=224

TRF also sells the re-covering kit but the saving is not enough for me to not want to just by a complete unit

http://www.zeni.net/trf/TR6-250GC/225.php

Stan

Hi Dave

I bought one that needed recovering - my original had the radio aperture made to fit a modern radio, but I wanted an old style radio in it for looks.

Carl at TR Trader got me a one piece (like the original) molded cover with the foam back. It was a bit awkward to fit, but with plenty of Evo-Stik it worked well and it looks great in the car.

I agree that the leather ones with stitching don't look as good - some people prefer those, but not for me.

TR Trader - 0161 485 5005

Hope this helps.

Roger

Having tried other high cost H frame kits, I found that the TR Shop Chiswick cover to be the best. It is as the original, (no stitching), and comes with foam attached. None are an easy job but with care it should look like it did when it left the factory. Sounds though that the TR Trader item is similar. I personally would not entertain those without the foam because when removing the old one you will damage the foam beyond re- use.

Rodders.

Edited by modelbuilder
I personally would not entertain those without the foam because when removing the old one you will damage the foam beyond re- use.

I agree completely, the foam cannot be reused. Here are two pictures how the frame I bought from TR Trader looked like before and after taking off the trim. I had it sandblasted afterwards to take all the remaining foam off.

2557783173_7289726347.jpg

2557783305_a0b711637a.jpg

The glueing on of the new cover is a bit tricky!

Tom